jQuery not supported.

Event Data Recorders (EDRs)

The Feds want to spy on you!

Event Data Recorders (EDRs)

Postby WingNut [OP] » May 27 2011, 3:56am

The headline from Detroit News today:

"U.S. to propose mandatory vehicle 'black boxes'"
And here's the link: http://detnews.com/article/20110526/AUT ... y-vehicle-‘black-boxes’

An EDR is a device that records vehicle telemetry up to 15 seconds before a crash. This article states that GM has been installing them in light duty vehicles since the mid-90s. Is this what this box is under my front seat? If so, I'm going to remove it.
Last edited by WingNut on May 27 2011, 4:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Marine because.

Original Poster
WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen
Related Topics  SilveradoSierra.com Appearance Event Schedule 2014:   performance data logging   Data Link Connector Holder 
Mobile Electronics Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Event Data Recorders (EDRs)

Postby rdss » May 27 2011, 4:03am

Good luck WN, GM probably has it wired in as an integral part. You pull big brother and they won't let your truck start! Or, just don't wreck doing stupid stuff!lol
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby gmctruckguy » May 27 2011, 4:17am

In 1999 (I think) at the dealership I worked at, a customer bought a new truck but it wasn't ready when he came to pick it up. The sales manager gave him a new C3 to drive for the night to keep him happy, well it was towed back that night without the light pole it was wrapped around and was written off. The customer stated he was doing 40 - 50mph and couldn't make a curve in the road and hit the light pole, when the service manager brought up the information from the "data recorder" it showed a vehicle speed of just over 95mph. Needless to say the guys insurance ended up paying for the new truck.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Blogs: 1
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby davidbarrett » May 27 2011, 11:37am

Wow never heard of that, its like an aircraft having a black box. I wonder if its the insurance companies who backed it so they could get out of paying claims lol
David Barrett
davidbarrett
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Blogs: 10
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 HD Ext cab
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lzn197 » May 27 2011, 11:44am

Even without data recorders, accident investigators have the knowledge to figure this stuff out. C'mon now!
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » May 27 2011, 3:17pm

We are piloting these in our Geek Squad cars (VW Bugs) and some other vehicles we operate. It's produced by a company called Telematics. Our drivers know they are in the cars, but still we find excessive idle time, speeding, etc. The system also measures hard braking events, collision avoidance (steering) maneuvers, and more. It can also be used to track if a vehicle goes outside a planned route, or operates during non-working hours.

I am fine with it on a company vehicle. I'd be pissed if it were used by the gubberment for the "general populace".
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby dpaul » May 28 2011, 3:35am

I guess I take this info for granted... I use this stuff on a regular basis. Here is a link to learn more about what can be found in your vehicle. There is a lot of info on this website.

http://www.cdr-system.com/

GM was the first to offer EDR data. It actually saved them quite a bit of money in lawsuits. Drivers would report sudden acceleration or brake failure caused their accident, then sue GM for a product defect... the EDR data would tell the truth about several of the parameters involving the crash. As far back as 1994, GM started recording: %throttle, %brake, engine rpm, speed in mph, and whether the seat belts were engaged. If someone reported sudden acceleration, and their EDR indicated 80% braking and 0% throttle, GM would be out of the lawsuit after the data was downloaded. (No, I'm not an attorney)

They record a lot more data now... A LOT more!

Not all vehicle manufacturers have made this data available. But by model year ending 2012, all manufacturers must supply the EDR data and Bosch Vetronix will be the only company who has the software and equipment to download it. (No, I don't work for Bosch!) The general public can buy the equipment to download the data.

If you disconnect the EDR box, your vehicle will not start.

If your airbag deploys in a crash (usually 12 -14 mph change in velocity within 120 milliseconds), the data is recorded and locked into the EDR. The vehicle will not start or run until the EDR box is replaced and the airbag(s) are also replaced. The data can be downloaded over and over and it can not be altered.

If there is a "near-deployment" event (where the delta V almost reaches the deployment threshold) the data will remain in the EDR until another "near-deployment" event occurs, or 250 key cycles occur.

This info is only the tip of the iceberg... the website I supplied should answer a lot of additional questions.
dpaul
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 19
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut [OP] » May 28 2011, 3:54am

dpaul, good post but I have to add that race shops have been removing airbags (and I bet you EDRs) from vehicles for years.
Marine because.

Original Poster
WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby dpaul » May 28 2011, 4:00am

WingNut:

You're correct... anything can be defeated.

Even the PATS key systems can be defeated if you know all the tricks!
dpaul
Topics: 19
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » May 28 2011, 12:28pm

dpaul wrote:WingNut:

You're correct... anything can be defeated.

Even the PATS key systems can be defeated if you know all the tricks!

Oh yeah? Tell me more about the PATS key defeat! Have you seen it done? Or are you talking soldering the right resister in the harness and that is it? That is not a defeat.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics

Common search terms

black light event start back data recorders edrs used today keep change since bought post first front work think still right guys engine make done

It is currently Aug 30 2014, 9:25pm

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
SHOP TALK (Live Chat)
Mobile Electronics Forum
Mobile ElectronicsTalk about audio systems and mobile video, navigation systems and GPS, car alarms and security systems. Discuss auto competition with amplifiers, subwoofers, sound quality, and SPL. Entertain with satellite radio, CB radio, DVD players, and game consoles.
To create a new topic in Mobile Electronics, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds