jQuery not supported.

installed Rosen carshow gm1210 nav unit

Re: installed Rosen carshow gm1210 nav unit

Postby Rudy_P » Apr 19 2017, 7:39pm

Looking at the cam500 from behind, I didn't like the look of the way it is suppose to be waterproof. To make sure I installed 1.5 inch long 3/4’ dia.shrink tubing and sealed around metal parts with liquid silicone. Common failure for backup cams that people are commenting is water infiltration, despite manufacturers claiming of waterproofness. Having cam on the front makes more chance of that.
Attachments
Cam 500.jpg
Rudy_P
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L LT 4x4 xcab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wottenad » Apr 19 2017, 8:01pm

Rudy_P wrote:Looking at the cam500 from behind, I didn't like the look of the way it is suppose to be waterproof. To make sure I installed 1.5 inch long 3/4’ dia.shrink tubing and sealed around metal parts with liquid silicone. Common failure for backup cams that people are commenting is water infiltration, despite manufacturers claiming of waterproofness. Having cam on the front makes more chance of that.

Having done many hundreds of these cameras, I can absolutely say that I have never see one leak. What you did cannot hurt, though.
Walt Ottenad
wottenad
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1968
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Rudy_P » Apr 19 2017, 8:50pm

With my luck I better not take chances. After installing the rear cam CS-GMTRb, after one week it failed. It was replaced quickly by C.S. and I did the same job on it to.
Rudy_P
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rudy_P » Apr 20 2017, 7:15pm

Walt, I just found hardware bag that is shipped with Cam500 and there is a rubber seal that installs behind the cam, and is tightened by washer and the nut. By installing the cam in the grill as you mentioned, would not seal the cam from moisture. Not enough pressure on the seal. I think sealing the Cam as I mentioned would be a right thing to do.
Attachments
hardware.jpg
Rudy_P
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wottenad » Apr 20 2017, 8:46pm

Rudy_P wrote:Walt, I just found hardware bag that is shipped with Cam500 and there is a rubber seal that installs behind the cam, and is tightened by washer and the nut. By installing the cam in the grill as you mentioned, would not seal the cam from moisture. Not enough pressure on the seal. I think sealing the Cam as I mentioned would be a right thing to do.

The foam washer has nothing to do with adding any water protection to the camera - it is there only to keep the camera from rotating when installed on a flat surface like the underside of a license plate "eyebrow" or other horizontal flat surface. If you didn't have that installed, the camera could easily rotate and scar up the finish on the surface you mount to - I speak from experience on this :- )

The camera is sealed from the factory, but as I mentioned before, adding silicone to it can't hurt...
Walt Ottenad
wottenad
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1968
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Rudy_P » Apr 20 2017, 9:02pm

Thanks Walt, I will take your word for it. Rudy.
Rudy_P
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rudy_P » Apr 25 2017, 4:41pm

I didn't like the view from the front cam installed bellow the Chevy emblem. Bumper of Silverado is protruding to much and covering the ground ahead, a bit to much for my liking. Maybe Tahoe bumper is made differently and cam bellow is ok. I can se a bit more ground by placing the Cam above emblem, and at the same time have a wider view along the bumper. I installed the Cam protruding about half a inch from the grill to minimize the emblem a bit, and used some plastic ties to preventing Cam from coming out of the grill. I find that removing the parking lines improves the picture quality by removing the exes of yellow tint. Here are the results in photos.
Attachments
Cam above installation.jpg
Cam Above view no P.L..JPG
Cam Above view.JPG
cam Bellow installation.jpg
Cam Bellow view.JPG
Cam Installation.JPG
Rudy_P
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Roberx » Apr 25 2017, 5:49pm

Thanks for all the great info!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d by a shortage of fishing poles.
Roberx
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Crew Cab LT Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rudy_P » Apr 27 2017, 10:11pm

When comparing images from rear cam CS-GMTRb and front Cam500 I find big difference in quality. If you look at the wheels of the pickup truck on Advent Cam500 you can clearly see them, and on CS-GMTRb they are hidden in the shadow. Overall image on Cam500 is sharper with much more detail. Wires and plugs on Advent Cam500 are superior to CS-GMTRb and use of existing tailgate bezel with Advent cam makes it much cheaper. When a rear cam goes it will be replaced with Cam500. I took the pictures within 15 min interval.
Attachments
Cam500.jpg
CS-GMTRb.jpg
Rudy_P
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Apr 27 2017, 10:24pm

It took me a while to realize that you have the Advent on the front and the Gmtrsb on the back. But, yah, those two cameras do have a big difference in quality. I will try to do the same with my Cheapo Pyle and the GMTrsb and post up.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 222
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users
Servicemen
PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Electronics