Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

need help

459 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kdh 
#1 ·
I recently hard wired my Garmin GPS into my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD dura max via the Blue remote wire on the radios wire harness. My radio had been working and not working intermittently. But I did not think twice about using the remote wire seeing as when I wired it in everything checked out fine. Now when the radio goes out so does the GPS. I was told it could possibly be the stock amplifier but I cannot find it, as well it is only the sound that goes out The display stays on and you can change through the stations, just not hear anything. Hopefully someone on here may have experienced this or may be able to guide me to the problem. Thank you in advance.
-John

#2 ·
Is any of this OEM? Is it a mixed system in that respect? Is it a total custom setup? Please list your components. From what I see here, I am guessing you have an aftermarket HU wired through a stock amp and out to your speakers. Do you have any adapters? There has been known issues with the PAC OS-4 and similar adapters if the power is accidentally or purposely double-tapped.

If memory serves...the stock amplifier would be under the console/jump seat with a Bose system, but within the HU if not.

#5 ·
Utah2500 said:
OEM radio. All stock. I just tapped into the remote wire for "switched aux power."
Very dumb question here.. How do you know that's the switched aux power wire? Most factory OEM radios don't follow after market wiring guides. That blue wire could be used for something else. Also, if it IS the aux switched power lead, those leads usually don't have the ability to power a device. Only turn it on and off. Your garmen might be drawing to much current causing the radio to turn on and off. If you are dead set on using that wire, you could wire up a relay that uses the blue wire to switch the relay on, which will then use a lead run from the battery to power on your garmin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.