jQuery not supported.

Speaker Replacements

Speaker Replacements

Postby dtkunkel [OP] » Sep 08 2010, 6:05pm

I have a 2010 Silverado without the premium sound package, what are the best sounding speakers to upgrad to that will just simply replace the factory speakers.. I am planning on keeping the stock head unit..

Thanks in advance all..
Original Poster
dtkunkel
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Speaker Replacements

Postby Hartski » Sep 08 2010, 6:20pm

Honestly, i don't think there would be much improvement by just replacing the speakers. If you added an amp or replaced the head unit, you would notice a lot of difference in the speakers.
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Sep 24 2010, 1:00am

First be sure that ALL of your present speakers are working. Premium sound (Bose), doesn't it have a subwoofer in the console from the factory? Is it working?
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby WBloco » Mar 11 2011, 2:33am

I also want to upgrade the speakers of my 2010 Silverado. The factory radio is great but the sound is a little dull. The comment of Hartski discourages me to invest in new speakers. Anyone with a different opinion?
WBloco
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NYsteve » Mar 11 2011, 6:23am

Hartski wrote:Honestly, i don't think there would be much improvement by just replacing the speakers. If you added an amp or replaced the head unit, you would notice a lot of difference in the speakers.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Stock speakers are always inferior to aftermarket unless you have a premium sound system. And even with a premium system, aftermarket speakers have made a difference in my experience.

As for WBloco, how much are you willing to spend per pair? $$ is the biggest factor in how good your speakers will sound.
Oil leak? What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!
NYsteve
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chasmanian » Mar 11 2011, 6:47am

The Alpines always sound nice. Type S will work or type R if planning an amp in the future.
Also look at Polk and even good old Pioneers.
2014 Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 Z71
5% Tint, 7.5 inch Rough Country lift, Gear Alloy Big Block wheels 20x10 with Cooper STT 35x12.50

Buying things I don't need to impress people I don't know.
Chasmanian
Topics: 124
Year: 2014
Extra Info: HD 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EX-F150 owner » Mar 11 2011, 6:51am

I have the premium sound with the Bose speakers in mine and to be honest I think the sound sucks lol
Seriously, I also had the premium stereo in my 05 F150 and it was the best sounding stock stereo I have ever heard. I could not crank it all the way comfortably (maybe I am just getting old) But I can crank this stereo and I still want more. There is not nearly the bass or sound that the Ford had in it :(

And why is it out of the 4 trucks I have been in (in-laws and 2 guys from work) is the sound not as loud in the rear seating area??

Wake up GM :!:
10 Silverado 1500 Crew LTZ 4x4 6.2L Nav-Roof-R/Entertainment-NHT GBM/Ebony
13 Enclave Premium AWD 3.6L Nav-Roof-R/Entertainment-HTR&Tow Package WDT/Cocoa
02 Lesabre Custom 3.8L MBM/Gray
01 Wellcraft 2400 Martinique MERC 5.7L EFI BIII
EX-F150 owner
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Topics: 64
Extra Info: Built March20th2010
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chasmanian » Mar 11 2011, 7:14am

I know in the Classic models the head unit was the big downfall of the system. Just by swapping out the radio would make a huge difference. Adding a decent amp to the doors would really bring them back to life. Kind of the same thing on the new rigs but a bit pricey to swap out our radio's. Need mods for every thing now days. On star, steering wheel, chime......adds up quick.
2014 Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 Z71
5% Tint, 7.5 inch Rough Country lift, Gear Alloy Big Block wheels 20x10 with Cooper STT 35x12.50

Buying things I don't need to impress people I don't know.
Chasmanian
Topics: 124
Year: 2014
Extra Info: HD 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EX-F150 owner » Mar 11 2011, 7:41am

Chasmanian wrote:I know in the Classic models the head unit was the big downfall of the system. Just by swapping out the radio would make a huge difference. Adding a decent amp to the doors would really bring them back to life. Kind of the same thing on the new rigs but a bit pricey to swap out our radio's. Need mods for every thing now days. On star, steering wheel, chime......adds up quick.

Yes it does, I just did a head unit and rear speaker upgrade on my sister's truck, her gift to her husband for his birthday. Just to get the radio interface, antenna adapter, radio mount and speaker mount She spent close to $150.00 :o Best bet is to shop Crutchfield since they give you almost everything you need and they told me they give 50% off the price of the interface if you shop with them. Too bad my sister did not know this before she purchased everything and lost the receipt.

Also would like to add. I ordered the Metra AXXES interface on Amazon to do the install. I will not buy another product from these people! The radio would not always shut off when you would get out of the truck unless you actually turned the radio off from the head unit. When I contacted them about this they verified that the unit I got needed an update. Funny thing is, they also confirmed I had the lasted and greatest release. Then they told me I would have to pay to ship it to them for the update and that it would take 2 weeks to get it back it me :evil: :evil: :evil:

So with that said, they will not get any money out of me. Sucks to have to do a job 3 times!! AND have to pay for their mistake!! Can you believe the guy I was speaking with tried to compare this to a consumer buying a computer and having to pay for it to be updated! It's not like it was 6 months old and there was some new release... This was just purchased and didn't work right out of the box. And does it really take 2 weeks to update and ship form Florida to Virginia?? These guys are NOT about Customer Service! OK I am done :lol:
10 Silverado 1500 Crew LTZ 4x4 6.2L Nav-Roof-R/Entertainment-NHT GBM/Ebony
13 Enclave Premium AWD 3.6L Nav-Roof-R/Entertainment-HTR&Tow Package WDT/Cocoa
02 Lesabre Custom 3.8L MBM/Gray
01 Wellcraft 2400 Martinique MERC 5.7L EFI BIII
EX-F150 owner
Topics: 64
Extra Info: Built March20th2010
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Vortec6200 » Mar 11 2011, 5:05pm

In my opinion even if you just change factory speakers you will get better sound. Stock speakers and the so called "premium" ones are a joke. In terms of what brand there have been several I have used. Alpines, Polk, and Infinity in my opinion are the best. In the coming weeks I am going to install (4) 6.5 Infinity Kappa's, and a Infinity Kappa 5-channel amp in my truck, integrating with the factory head unit via an MTX Re-Q5. I will let you know how it turns out. Install will probably take place next weekend.
My Ride: 2011 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab - 6.2L Max Towing Package
Wifes Ride: 2013 GMC Acadia Denali
My Toy: 2006 Regal 1900 Sport Boat - Bowrider
Vortec6200
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 6.2L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics