Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2" Drop Shackles on 2500HD?

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Renegade Al 
#1 ·
I have been looking through here and it appears that most everyone chooses to go with a leveling kit to level their trucks. I have the stock 245/75/16 tires on my 09 Silverado. I have been looking at the Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit that a lot of you guys use, but I'm not sure how my truck will look with stock tires. I just put $900 worth of tires on it and I would like to stay with the stock size tires/wheels. I don't have a very tall garage, so I was wondering about putting a set of 2" drop shackles on the rear of the truck. It looks like it will accomplish the same as a leveling kit and get rid of some of the extra wheel well that these trucks have all while avoiding an alignment job. My questions/concerns are: 1: Does this affect anything if I would ever put a gooseneck hitch in and tow a trailer? 2: Should I go with a name brand such as McGaughy's or are the cheaper ones at AutoZone or on ebay just as good? (They are just shackles) 3: What are your general thoughts about what it will look like? Thanks!
Here is how it sits currently:

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have the McGaughy's drop shackles on my dmax (lowered it by 1.75 inches) and I also lifted the front about an inch to level it out - it still has about an inch or so of rake. I tow a 32 foot fifth wheel with a 1500# toungue weight and it only drops the rear about 1.5 inches. Tires are 33's so fairly close to stock height on those.

2015-2.jpg

2015-3.jpg

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.