Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

456 yukon gears

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Popgun05 
#1 ·
Just order my 456 yukon gears for my silverado now the service rep at summit racing is telling me that I need to also replace my front carrier case in order to installd my gears also a intallation kit front and back, is that true ?thank you guys

#4 ·
I didn't have to change carrier case. I also went with Yukon 4.56 gears. Pending on how many miles are on your stock setup will determine if you need installation kits with new bearing. I only had 11,000 miles on my stock so I passed on new bearing. Just was careful when I removed them

#6 ·
Not sure why more $ though. You'll need the kits with new seals, gaskets, and shims but pass on the bearing with that low of mileage bro. Just be careful when removing stock bearings. Front was easier install than rear. Drop diff and split the case and replace ring and pinion. Rear was a little more difficult with the gov lock. Had to watch YouTube video on how to remove the gov lock. If you've never done gears before I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. I had a gear head buddy help me out on mine and saved about $700

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.