Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

4x4/Z71, What's the difference really?

82K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Fisherguy 
#1 ·
So I was just curious if anyone could lend some knowledge about these newer trucks, if there really is any difference between a regular 4x4 labeled truck and the Z71's. Some even say just Z71, not Z71 4x4. I bought some Z71 4x4 stickers and stuck them on in place of my original 4x4 stickers so I was considering upgrading to THE "Z71" Rancho 5000 shocks so as to technically BE a Z71, since I see mine already has skid plates, lockers and I've added oem fog lights too.

#5 ·
rdmorgan05 said:
Mine is a 2WD Z71... On the NNBS there is a Z71 suspension package and a Z71 appearance package that can be added to any 2WD or 4X4 drivetrain truck. Mine has just the suspension package not the appearance package
Yours is an 05?(by your s/n I'd assume so) Because I know the current body style silverado/sierra has very few differences mechanically from the predecessor body truck. I've looked at shocks everywhere and come up with the same conclusion, 07-12 have SAME part#, 2wd,4wd,Z71 whatever! ALL 07-12 from W/T 2wd, LS, LT to LTZ Z71's use the SAME friggin shocks.. If we want a different "ride" from a base model 2wd we have to go buy aftermarket shocks. Way to freaking cut corners but still jack up the prices, GovernmentMotors

#9 ·
Hi Jugg,

From the Chevy Web Site:

Suspension Package, Off-Road, includes 1.81" (46 mm) shocks, off-road jounce bumpers, stabilizer bars, (B71) Wheel flares, (NZZ) Skid Plate Package, and Z71 decals on rear quarters (Z71)

(NZZ): Skid Plate Package, includes aluminum front underbody shield starting behind front bumper and running to 1st cross-member, protecting front underbody, oil pan, differential case and transfer case, frame-mounted shields (NZZ)

Gear ratios and tire size "might" also be different. Depends on how it was originally ordered from the factory.

I think that is it. Hope this helped, :D

#10 ·
I have a similar issue. I have a 2012 1500 silverado. It has 4x4 on the quarter panel.
The thing is, I have the window sticker and it has Z71 Off Road Pkg listed.
I have looked, it has no skid plates.
Heres the thing. I have the build sheet. It has these rpo codes:
Z60 Chassis High performance package chassis performance pkg (z60)
Z82 Trailering package (special) (reese type hitch) provisional for HD Trailer equip (z82)
GU4 axle rear 3.08 ratio 3.08R (gu4)
G80 axle rear positracction limited slip positraction l/slip r/axl (g80)
KNP cooling system transmission, hearcy duty hvy duty trans clg-sys (knp)

These are the ones I thought relevant.
Can anyone shed some light on what the difference in what I have and if it's z71 or no
Thanks guys

#11 ·
Difference is shock valving, under carriage skid plates, G80 rear, larger front seay bar, front tow hooks, off road jounce bumpers (bump stops), high capacity air filter, 17-18" wheels, AT tires.
The OEM Z71 shocks are NOT Rancho RS5000's, don't confuse the two models. They are just a generic version of Rancho shock, you can only order them as a GM OEM part. The RS5000 is a much better shock than the junkers GM slaps on.

The "Z71" without 4x4 is just a 2wd pickup with the Z71 package with no 4x4.
To make your standard 4x4 into a Z71, it takes a hell of a lot more than just shocks.

#12 ·
for my 2015 it included rancho shocks, all terrain tires, transfer case shield, locking rear dif, z71 appearance package, fog lights, towing hooks. My 2006 is basically the same with the exception of the bilsteen shocks but im not positive all those options came with the z71 in 06. I know there all there though on my truck

#13 ·
There are so many ways to get the other things like the G80 and tow hooks, and most people who are going to go 'off-road' are going to replace the Wrangler SR-A tires

So really for me it was just the Ranchos and skid plates. I figure I can pick up some take-off skidplates cheap and I could go with aftermarket Rancho or Bilstein shocks at some point, so the Z71 package wasn't a must for me this time around. It does add a couple bucks to your resale value and you get the emblems on the dash, door sills, and badges/stickers on the truck

#15 ·
G80 axle rear positracction limited slip positraction l/slip r/axl (g80)
That is a description for a car, trucks/suvs DO NOT use a limited slip differential

G80 - Differential, heavy-duty locking rear

per 2015 order guide
Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
1 - Included with (Z82) Trailering equipment.
2 - Standard on 4WD models. Included on 2WD models with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package, (PEC) Carbon-22 Edition, (PDU) SLE Value Package, (PDA) Texas SLE Value Package or (NHT) Max Trailering Package.

#16 ·
If you are still wondering, then it is important to note that there are actually distinct differences between a Silverado/Sierra with z71 4x4 compared to a model just labeled 4x4. The z71 package has off road tuned shock absorbers, a front skid plate, and an automatic locking rear differential, while the only off road capable part of a standard 4x4 is just the fact that it has the ability to power all four wheels. If you are planning on driving on mountain trails, especially if they are uneven or rocky you would be best off with a z71 package, especially considering that the under body protection from the skid plate might save your truck if you run over a rock or bottom out, the locking rear diff will also be beneficial on the uneven terrain for optimal traction. If you are only doing some light offroading, then a standard 4x4 will be fine, but anything beyond moderate dirt trails and you would be better off with the z71 package.

#20 ·
I don't do any off-roading/muddin my in 08' z71 4x4 lol. I used to in my old pos D**ge. I should've just bought the standard 4x4 wt. Oh well this thing is paid off and it'll be an easier sell/trade to any guy who knows his rigs

#21 ·
Almost all the trucks have the G80, Z71 package or not. You're paying extra for a skidplate, highflow filter and stickers over the standard 4x4 truck. And if you get the z71 appearance package you get the skidplate, highflow filter, bigger stickers, interior accents, color matched exterior parts, and rancho shocks.

You can also get a two wheel drive z71, so just because it has the sticker doesn't mean its 4x4.

#24 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Incorrect. My 2015 z71 had 3.08s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like someone fell for the ol' revived thread trick...lol

#26 ·
I just bought an 07 4x4 with the Z71 package, what's funny is they put those stupid little plastic 'spoilers'under the front bumper on these "off road" trucks, it ends up about 6" high.
First time I went off the beaten track I cracked it. Soon as I got home I took it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.