Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Ball Joint- Upper and Lower Replacement Questions

26K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Damion 
#1 ·
Looking to save some money and do my own upper and lower ball joints...Searched the net for some info on how easy/hard it is...Didn't find much info on doing MY truck...lots of info for doing ball joints on other trucks... Anyone got any advice or know where to find a How-To on this.. I don't have any Air tools but still think i can do it... Any help would be great.

#5 ·
As 01dually6.0 said, most OEM joints are riveted in. When I did mine on the old truck I used my RotoZip with the right angle grinder to take the heads off & then center punched the shanks out. After that it was just a matter of a couple good taps from a 2lb persuading tool & they popped out. One tip I have from past experience...the instructions on the new greasable joints say to install the zerks AFTER installing the joints. If they come with angled zerks you will probably have to because they won't clear the hole but do yourself a favor & pre-install them prior to installing the joints even if you have to remove them to install the joint. I didn't do this on mine & found out once they were installed that the threads in one of my joints were jacked up & I had to take everything back apart in order to re-tap the threads for the zerk.

#6 ·
Mine were pressed into the control arms. Not too bad to get out but without a shop press, they are a pain to get back in. I had to make a press using a hydraulic puller and some steel. Took a while but I got it done.

I used MOOG joints too BTW. Lifetime warranty, and greaseable. FWIW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.