jQuery not supported.

Ball Joint- Upper and Lower Replacement Questions

Ball Joint- Upper and Lower Replacement Questions

Postby MLeBlanc [OP] » May 03 2012, 1:21pm

Looking to save some money and do my own upper and lower ball joints...Searched the net for some info on how easy/hard it is...Didn't find much info on doing MY truck...lots of info for doing ball joints on other trucks... Anyone got any advice or know where to find a How-To on this.. I don't have any Air tools but still think i can do it... Any help would be great.
Original Poster
MLeBlanc
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 24
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD 8.1L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Lower ball joint help   lower ball joint grease boot   Ball Joint Replacement Tip   rough country ball joint boot   Pics of ball joint and cv angles with RC 3.5" lift   Upper ball joints giving me a headache   Changing Upper Ball Joints, what else should I change?   Upper and Lower Control Arms   WTB black mirror covers (upper and lower)   Upper Steering Shaft replacement issue   NBS 4x4 Ball Joints Replacement - best sequence?   Bad CV Joint?   U-joint help needed   What is this joint called? Looks like i need new ones. 
Suspension Sponsor
4 Wheel Parts Your Offroad Superstore

Re: Ball Joint- Upper and Lower Replacement Questions

Postby 01dually6.0 » May 03 2012, 1:36pm

If they are the original ball joints there probabaly rivited on so either drill or grind off rivits take off tie rod end and you also may have to remove half shaft. Replace with greasable ball joints. Hope this helped you.
01dually6.0
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 7
Blogs: 0
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 6.0 4x4 extented cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GMCFanatic2010 » May 03 2012, 2:07pm

youtube may have some info on this if you havent tried. they had a nice video on how to remove my struts for my 2011. My net is horrible or I would try to find you a link. Ill still try but it make take 2 days to load 3 pages haha ;) Best of luck
GMCFanatic2010
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MLeBlanc [OP] » May 03 2012, 2:10pm

yeah i checked youtube and they don't have anything on my truck.. they got one for replacing upper c-arms on my similar truck but not ball joints
Original Poster
MLeBlanc
Topics: 24
Extra Info: 2500HD 8.1L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tankrat » May 03 2012, 2:17pm

As 01dually6.0 said, most OEM joints are riveted in. When I did mine on the old truck I used my RotoZip with the right angle grinder to take the heads off & then center punched the shanks out. After that it was just a matter of a couple good taps from a 2lb persuading tool & they popped out. One tip I have from past experience...the instructions on the new greasable joints say to install the zerks AFTER installing the joints. If they come with angled zerks you will probably have to because they won't clear the hole but do yourself a favor & pre-install them prior to installing the joints even if you have to remove them to install the joint. I didn't do this on mine & found out once they were installed that the threads in one of my joints were jacked up & I had to take everything back apart in order to re-tap the threads for the zerk.
2007 Classic Crew Cab 4x4 2500HD 6.0L
MagnaCharger M112 Radix w/intercooler
MagnaFlow dual exhaust
DVD, MP3, HD Radio, Sat Radio, GPS Nav, Bluetooth, Backup camera
tankrat
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L CC 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Damion » May 03 2012, 4:31pm

Mine were pressed into the control arms. Not too bad to get out but without a shop press, they are a pain to get back in. I had to make a press using a hydraulic puller and some steel. Took a while but I got it done.

I used MOOG joints too BTW. Lifetime warranty, and greaseable. FWIW
Damion
Topics: 6
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users