Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

blown shock? cv joint? steering dampner?

772 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ASTE25 
#1 ·
So. 22 single mom and I have a decent knowledge of my pickup...but be kind I'm willing to learn.

02 1500 Chevy Silverado HD quad cab.

At 15mph+ my steering wheel has been shaking left to right and getting worse. I looked under it and saw this! (See pictures) my CV boots are intact no tears, no clicking. Since when I turn I hear a sigh from my steering I figured it was my steering box... Like I said limited knowledge. There is dirty grease/oil all over my shock. I can't figure out how a shock would contribute to the steering like that... Insight?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you have two issues. 1) the vibration and 2) the leak. They may or may not be related. I would check for a leaking power steering hose as far as the leak goes. As far as the shake goes, I would check your tires to make sure you do not have a bad tire (with a broken belt in it). It could also be warped brake rotors. Lastly, if you have gone through mud recently some may have stuck to the inside of the wheel causing the wheel to be out of balance or you may have thrown a wheel weight off and the wheel is no longer balance. Let us know what you find out.

#3 ·
Sent pictures to a diesel mechanic friend and along side some research we are fairly certain like you said that i blew a power steering line or something to that effect. I don't have a shop so unfortunately I'm taking it into a shop tomorrow. Hoping this is resolved soon!

#4 ·
That fluid is coming from up higher than the axle, probably the power steering pump or power steering hose leaking, dripping, then the axle shaft is spewing it around.

The vibes are probably from the power steering not able to do its job- add power to the steering. It does dampen the feel of the steering when doing its job, and if you have air in the pump and lines you'll feel all kinds of bad stuff through the wheel.

Check the power steering reservoir for fluid level and look for a leak on either of the power steering hoses.

If you wipe some fresh fluid, gear oil has a very distinct smell and you can rule that out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.