jQuery not supported.

Front end noise concern

Front end noise concern

Postby emtzach [OP] » Sep 20 2010, 5:23pm

Hey I have a 2002 Z71 4x4 112xxx miles on her. I will try to be as descriptive as I can. At very low speeds I can hear and slightly feel a low creek coming from the steering column. This sounds and feels the same as on the same year ford F150s and exploders. The cause was in the steering shaft slip joint getting some slight wear under the dash. I could live with it but I am unfamiliar with specifics on these trucks. However for the past two days I have the same noise, a creek/moan coming from mostly the left front area that occurs from a dead stop on accel only when the trucks front end unsprings or lifts up on slight accelleration.... driving normally when a light turns green. I have no rattles or creeks or thumps while traveling down the road. I try to recreate the problem but I can only get it to do it when I am driving. Does any one have this same problem and have you found a fix. the truck runs and drives great. All components are stock minus the off brand mud terrains and very loud exhaust. I hope I have given a good desription but perhaps you may have other descriptive words in your vocabulary that would help out on this thread.
Original Poster
emtzach
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: Front end noise concern

Postby lzn197 » Sep 24 2010, 12:52pm

Did you happen to notice that after driving in the rain the noise goes away? I bet it is your stabilizer bar bushings. A quick shot of wd 40 might make it go away for a few days. The bar has to pivot just slightly as the suspension extends and compresses. As the bar rotates it squeaks in that hard rubber. My current truck hasn't actually done it yet but I am sure you can remove the U clamps and grease the shaft and reinstall. Usually no parts are needed.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Re: Front end noise concern

Postby emtzach [OP] » Sep 25 2010, 7:30pm

Ok 8 will take a look at that this after noon... going to look at the torsion bars for the heck of it as well
Original Poster
emtzach
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 2
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Suspension