jQuery not supported.

Hydraulic Body Mounts

What are they

Hydraulic Body Mounts

Postby Kenk714 [OP] » Mar 09 2013, 6:16pm

Quick question:

Does anyone have information on hydraulic body mounts? What year did GM start using them? How do they work? Has anyone upgraded to them? Etc...

Basically, if anyone has any knowledge about them at all, that would be cool. I would like to learn as much as I can.

Thanks
Original Poster
Kenk714
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Hydraulic Body Mounts

Postby Z15 » Mar 09 2013, 6:45pm

About all I know about them is they are supposed to reduce the Freeway Hop Shake of Pickup Trucks. I think they been using them on the HD truck for a couple years.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 126
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Kenk714 [OP] » Mar 09 2013, 6:53pm

Thanks

I've been reading info on the 2014 Sierra, and this is one of the features to isolate road/suspension vibration. I don't know what year this went into production.
Original Poster
Kenk714
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Mar 09 2013, 7:04pm

Recenly I saw a TV commercial for the 2013 Silverado HD Duramax and it mentioned it had hydraulic body mounts.

From what I can gather they are a special type of 2-pc rear cab mounts to isolate the body from the frame.

I found a pic but can't say if its the GM type
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Kenk714 [OP] » Mar 09 2013, 7:15pm

I have an '08 crew cab sierra all-terrain with Bilstein 5100's. The ride, to me, is good. It's tight without being bone jarring. It handles well. But I've always been kind of freak about how my vehicles ride. And this caught my interest. If someone has real world experience, I would like to know.
Original Poster
Kenk714
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Mar 09 2013, 7:22pm

fyi.....................not sure if this is the same thing?????????????????????????///

PIT3009L: Suspension Vibration Or Frame Beaming At 40-60 MPH (C/K TRUCKS)
#PIT3009L: Suspension Vibration Or Frame Beaming At 40-60 MPH (64-80 KM/H) - keywords front rear shake shock spring tire - (Dec 3, 2009)

Subject: Suspension Vibration or Frame Beaming at 40-60 mph (64 - 80 km/h)

Models: 1999-2009 Chevrolet Silverado and Silverado Classic

1999-2009 GMC Sierra and Sierra Classic
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Beam shake vibration is usually felt in the seat and occurring at speeds between 40-50 mph (64 - 80 km/h). Hertz readings using an EVA tool are normally between 8-24 Hz. This condition is most common on extended cab and crew cab models but has also been noted in other models.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The severity of beam shake may vary from vehicle to vehicle. To determine if the concern is beam shake, please perform the following:

•Test drive vehicle to confirm the condition. A beam shake condition will usually respond to concrete type pavements more than asphalt, so the vehicle should be driven over both surfaces if possible.
•Place 200-500 pounds in the pickup bed between the closed tailgate and the wheel wells. A beaming condition should dissipate.
Note: Tires with excessive Radial Force Variation (RFV) or out-of-roundness can intensify the frame beaming concern. The following radial force variation numbers should be used as a guide:

P-Metric tires (2wd 1500)
12 lbs or less

P-Metric tires (all others)
24 lbs or less

LT-tires
30 lbs or less

If the concern is determined to be beam shake, this is a characteristic of the vehicle. GM Engineering has released updated body mounts to reducing this concern for the Crew and Extended Cab Models. There will be no changes made to the Regular Cab Models.

FOR CREW AND EXTENDED CAB MODELS, REPLACE THE REAR CAB MOUNTS WITH UPDATED PARTS LISTED BELOW. THESE PARTS SHOULD NOT BE USED ON REGULAR CAB MODELS.

Note: 2009 1500 MODELS (WITHOUT RPO Z83) ALREADY HAVE THESE NEW BODY MOUNTS. DO NOT REPLACE THE BODY MOUNTS ON THESE VEHICLES FOR THIS ISSUE.

New upper and lower mounts should be installed at the left and right rear cab position. The new LOWER mount is a two piece design, meaning there is a rubber mount with a metal washer. Some models may use a one piece lower mount, meaning the rubber mount has a metal washer molded into it. If the vehicle has the one piece lower mount design, washers (PN 15854745, Qty 2) will be needed to be used with the new lower mount.

Note: Some new body mounts may have an oily film covering them. This oily film may be left on the mounts during the assembly process and does not indicate a faulty mount. Do not replace the mount for this issue.

Upper Mount 25791031 Qty 2 (DO NOT USE ON 2009 1500 MODELS WITHOUT RPO Z83, see note above)

Lower Mount 25791032 Qty 2 (DO NOT USE ON 2009 1500 MODELS WITHOUT RPO Z83, see note above)

Washer 15854745 Qty 2 (if needed)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Kenk714 [OP] » Mar 09 2013, 7:31pm

Thanks. I don't have that issue. But any increase in isolating road noise or vibration is always good.
Original Poster
Kenk714
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension