jQuery not supported.

leveling kit vs. lift kit

leveling kit vs. lift kit

Postby SilverBullet11 [OP] » Apr 20 2011, 9:16pm

alright guys i need some advice here. I know this is a personal preference and it only matters what I think but I need some help deciding bewtween a readylift 2.25" leveling kit with 1" rear lift vs. the readylift 4" sst lift. I will be running 33"s with each one so im not questioning tire size here. I guess im wondering am i gonna be more happy with one or the other or vice versa. This upgrade is for looks primarily not performance for me. I live in michigan so I have deep snow in the winter time to get through. I work on a farm so the truck will be goin through a field now and again and for hunting etc. etc.. yes every once in a while I will get curious and go down a trail or something but for the most part its just daily driver. obviously the 4" sst lift is higher than the 2.25" leveling kit. but am i gonna benefit any from it vs just a leveling kit? the leveling kit and rear 3" block are much cheaper which makes me lean towards it. I know I will get mixed replies about what to do on this. just was wondering what your thoughts were or if anyone has made this decision before or if you have either one of these.
Original Poster
SilverBullet11
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: leveling kit vs. lift kit

Postby Jim08SLE » Apr 20 2011, 9:52pm

You are right... it is your decision. I really don't have an opinion either way (my truck is still stock) but will say this:

Suspension lift will alter the ride more than leveling.
Leveling may not void your warranty... Suspension lift most likely will void most of it.
33" will probably not fit (without rubbing) under just a leveling kit.

Personally, I love the way the 3-4" looks with those size tires (or similar), but the truck wouldn't fit in my garage if I went any more than a leveling kit.

Either way... post some pics when you are done.

Jim
Never forget the ones that got you there...you may need a ride back!
Jim08SLE
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE2 1500 Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zstalls » Apr 20 2011, 10:24pm

Well with my truck i went with the CCM 2.5" leveling kit, I did ALOT! of research to find the best leveling/lift kit to put on my 2008 Sierra, CCM seemed to have pretty good reviews and was in good standings.

I bought it for $90.99 from CCM it came in about a week or so, and i put it on the next day in my garage in about 2 hours or so. Really leveled it out nicely i measured my front and rear clearances and the rear was .5" higher which made it look perfect you cant even tell, no rear blocks in the kit either just two durable spacers that go on top of the shock strut. Easy install and you can fit 33's easy (I havent had the money to do it yet but there are plenty of pics on this site of people with 33's and the CCM Leveling kit)
2012 GMC SIERRA 1500 SLT Z71 4x4 -
CCM 2.5 level kit, off road led fog lights, 20% windows, in channel window visors, nitro terra grapplers, go recon low beam light/
zstalls
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L SLT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GMCRoss » Apr 21 2011, 4:39pm

Yes, I have a 2.5 inch leveling kit installed, looks way better than stock and like previous post, 33's fit with no problem at all, if you are looking for a low cost way to add some height, alter the look of the truck stance and fit 33's with ease this is the way to go. Sounds to me with the offroad driving you do, the trucks stock suspension is designed for that out of the factory, so the leveling kit should be fine.
2008 GMC Sierra SLE2 4x4
2.5 inch leveling kit
20 inch rims with 33 inch Cooper Xeons
GMCRoss
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE2 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bigwhite lly » Apr 21 2011, 5:15pm

4inch lift is a waste of your hard earned money. install a 6inch good quality lift with 35's and be done with it. you said you need it for snow and hunting,6inch lift gives you all the clearance you will ever need to do either one!!! i'm running a fabtech 8inch with 37's thru muddy-snow covered fields for goose hunting and nothing stops me!!!
O5 GMC 2500HD CC\SB SLT
8"fabtech lift w/dual shock hoop
35-12.50x20 nitto trail grappler 20x10 xd black monsters
Cognito tie rods w/steering bra
lbz mouthpiece 4inch straight piped-6inch black stack
K&n intake-tire gate spare carrier
bigwhite lly
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 2500hd 6.6l diesel
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverBullet11 [OP] » Apr 21 2011, 8:49pm

ok I decided to get a leveling kit and I will figure out what size tires and rims once the kit is on. now the question is which brand? I was originally looking at readylift but just found rough country for only $64.00!!! now rough country goes on the bottom. readylift goes on top and bottom. what is the better choice as in how it mounts. anyone heard any nightmares about a certain brand etc..
Original Poster
SilverBullet11
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby StarsnBars » Apr 22 2011, 12:18am

S.B. I put a R.C. 2 inch level kit on my 11 Silverado 1500 . Install took about a hour. Truck sat with a 1/2 rake after install. I put on some coil over rear shocks after that , it now has a 1 1/2 inch rake. My Nitto 33's. fit with no problem. Plenty of room. One nice thing about R.C.'s kit is it installs between shock and lower. Very easy. My best mod fer sure. You will need a alignment after install. Front end tows in a bunch with kit.
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
It's my Birthday today!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 237
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby SilverBullet11 [OP] » Apr 22 2011, 12:35am

I think i will go with that. how much did it cost you? also where did you get your rear shocks at and your window vents
Original Poster
SilverBullet11
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby StarsnBars » Apr 22 2011, 12:09pm

S.B. Your going to like that level kit. Really makes the truck look good. I got the shocks here locally at Advanced Auto. Went thru them because of return policy if fitment wasnt right. There alittle cheaper on Amazon or Autoanything. I didnt want to ship them back if they didnt fit, but there right on. They really work good for my camper setup. Rear end drops about a inch and the coil overs take over. I loaded over a 1000 pounds of deck material last week in the back and the shocks worked perfect. Got the vent visors at Autoanything.com. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your truck when its leveled. See ya,,
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
It's my Birthday today!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 237
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby SilverBullet11 [OP] » Apr 22 2011, 7:56pm

starsnbars what size tires are you running after the install? I am looking to get a around a 33" and as wide as possible. I like the look when the tires slightly stick out of the fenders. and i will be getting some aftermarket black rims so the backspacing will help with that
Original Poster
SilverBullet11
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Suspension