Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Lost tie rod nut at 45MPH

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  rebelman06 
#1 ·
I had my Bilstein struts installed at a shop about three weeks ago. I was going home from dinner tonight when the steering wheel starting jerking all over the place. Got on the brakes and steered my truck over to the shoulder with noticeable drag in the steering wheel. The right side tie rod has come out of the spindle. The threads on the tie road appear fine and the rest of the suspension looks good. I had it towed to my apartment and need to call the shop that installed the struts and did the alignment tomorrow. Anybody know what size and thread the castle nut is?

Worst case scenario I will buy a new tie rod end and use the castle but from that. I am going to ask the shop to recheck all the other nuts and bolts they touched. I am thankful that this didn't happen at 70 mph.

#8 ·
I was on a trip with my family in our '82 Benz when the tie rod bolt separated from the car at 65 mph. My father didn't even notice it until we exited the freeway when couldn't turn right. Ended up having to make a bunch of left turns in order get to a safe spot. My dad has just had the entire front suspension redone at the Mercedes dealership and they forgot to even put the nut on the bolt, FORGOT THE NUT!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
I have roadside assistance through my insurance, so the tow won't come out of pocket. I would have asked for reimbursement if I didn't. Hopefully I don't have any more issues. The alignment has been spot on both times. I wonder if they cross threaded the nut or something last time. I had only traveled 700 miles. The shop was going to tow it, but then the manager decided to drive out and fix it so that he could guarantee it would be fixed and aligned before they closed at 12 today. I was impressed with how they handled the situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.