Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

lower ball joint replacement on a 2010 silverado 4wd

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dcastro454 
#1 ·
I hope this is the right forum to post this question and if not, please let me know. I have a 2010 silverado 1500 4wd and my dealer claims I have bad ball joints, both upper and lower. In searching this site and the internet I can find really good directions for the upper control arm/ball joint assembly removal and installation but not much on the lower ball joints. In the Chilton repair manual they claim you need to remove the lower control arm to replace the ball joints, which supposedly requires taking off the front driveaxle. The ball joints in there now are factory original , but has anyone replaced these without removing the control arm? If anyone has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!!

#2 ·
Gravy no need to do all that, just remove the knuckle. First verify their diagnosis support suspension about 4 inches off the ground and take a long pry bar under the wheel and pry up while watching for excessive ball joint travel. Or simply check if the grease boot is ruptured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.