jQuery not supported.

Quadrasteer

pros and cons?

Quadrasteer

Postby Cowgirl Cadillac [OP] » Jan 08 2013, 8:57am

I have been looking at different trucks, and I found this 03 Silverado 1500 with the Quadrasteer option. Everything I have read seems to indicate that Quadrasteer would be a good choice for me, as I regularly haul a horse trailer in the warmer months and it is supposed to increase stability while towing. On the other hand, I have had some people tell me that I should steer clear of any Quadrasteer trucks I may find, saying the truck will fall apart faster and whatnot. I'm not sure if I believe that, but I was curious if anybody had any real-world information on the Quadrasteer. Is it a worthwhile option? Does it seem to have many problems, and is there anything special I should be looking out for when checking one of these trucks out? Any advice is appreciated.
Original Poster
Cowgirl Cadillac
Topics: 3
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  03 silverado quadrasteer problem 
Suspension Sponsor
4 Wheel Parts Your Offroad Superstore

Re: Quadrasteer

Postby starspangled6.0 » Jan 09 2013, 1:04am

I've never used Quadrasteer, but these trucks are such great towing rigs in the first place, I doubt it's worth the extra $$$. Good tires + 4x4 will give you all the traction you'll need in the winter, too.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 303
Blogs: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Cowgirl Cadillac [OP] » Jan 09 2013, 2:52am

The seller is asking $10k OBO for the truck, which around here is a fair price for a 4x4 truck of its age, mileage, and condition even without quadrasteer. For this particular truck, I don't think I would really be paying that much extra for the quadrasteer option, though I have certainly seen many overpriced ones in my search.

I think I'm going to go check the truck out tomorrow, regardless, but just wanted some extra input first.
Original Poster
Cowgirl Cadillac
Topics: 3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 » Jan 09 2013, 2:57am

OK. From what I've heard, it's a great system, and many were sad to see it discontinued. I'm no expert on it, but I don't think there were any big issues with it, either.

IMO, it's a neat feature, but not one worth paying extra $$$ for.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Topics: 303
Blogs: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Airwolf79 » Jan 16 2013, 7:13pm

I would jump on that. From what little I've heard about the quadrasteer, was good things. It would really come in handy backing up while towing, and I've heard they have the steering radius like a Smart Car, great for pulling into tight parking spots!
Airwolf79
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 04SierraQuadrasteer » Mar 03 2013, 10:37pm

i just recently bought a quadrasteer about 2 months ago and i love it! only thing i heard about it is that about every 15k you need to bring it into a gm dealership so they can service it and what not. and have fun parking near the door at stores!
04SierraQuadrasteer
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Quadrasteer
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Mar 03 2013, 10:51pm

I WISH mine had a turing radius like a Quadrasteer! That would be a great option for those of us that need to use the truck as a grocery-getter from time to time.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Honeybadger » Mar 20 2013, 6:35am

I had a 2005 Quadrasteer Crewcab. Its an awesome truck! They made them in 2002,2003 discontinued in 2004 and re introduced in 2005. So they only made them 3 years. The 05 I had worked great and never had an issue with the quadrasteer until 117K miles. The rack and pinion in the back mounted on the pumpkin had a faulty sensor and its a non replaceable part so you need to get the whole enchilada. The part runs about 400 and change and then add labor. Another thing with Quadrasteers is DO NOT GET A 4 WHEEL ALLIGNMENT!!! The rear is computer alligned and most shops or tire places do not have the $200,000.00 Machine to allign it correctly. The tire place will give you big balls like mine did but I made them call the dealer and the GM Tech told them not to touch it as they will most certainly screw it up. So with that being said it also not neccesary really to rotate the tires due to the 4 wheel steering. It has the same tuning radius as a Honda Accord sedan. It comes in real handy in parking lots and really becomes noticable when going back to a 2 wheel steer truck as its like driving a school bus in comparison. Also the rear pinion seal on the dif is NOT replaceable. It is a factory installed unit during manufacture so if it leaks you will need to get the whole casting piece with the seal. ( Had mine done at 90,000) . Encoder motors for the 4WD seem to be a issue on these trucks as I went through 2 of them. But it could be just my truck and not a platform wide issue. I traded mine in with 119K and got 10,000 grand in trade. Anything else you would like to know just ask
Honeybadger
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 17
Blogs: 2
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500 HD LTZ Crewcab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jjones » Mar 20 2013, 6:55am

A buddy of mine had one in 05 brand new. It was good for general use. Do not put a goose neck hitch in it. The dealer said it would work great. Was a pain in the ass to back up with and very hard on the steering parts in back. That thing was in the shop more than we used it. He got it because the neighbor guy loved it with his horse trailer so I think you will too for that purpose.
jjones
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Crew cab 5.3 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension