Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

really bad vibration

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RedHorse 823 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,
I have a 1984 GMC High Sierra 4x4 with a bad vibration. I have been doing all the work on this truck since getting it last year and I am finally stumped. It gets really bad around 50+ mph. It is so bad that it is hard to tell where it is coming from. Here are some things that have been done but did not fix the problem (Although they all needed to be done).
New schocks
New brakes
New rear driveshaft U joints (one was bad)
New tires (hung and balanced by professionals)
fluid change in rear end.
None of these have had any effect on the vibration. Does anyone have some suggestions on what else to check. Like i said its so rough it is hard to tell if it is coming from the front or rear.. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but then again you can touch any part of the truck and feel it. Thanks for your help,
Michael

#3 ·
Like said above... Things like this can be hard to diagnose w/o seeing the vehicle in person!

Does it happen at a certain speed or get better or worse at a certain speed???

Did the vibrations start all of the sudden or get gradually worse???

You said new brakes... Did you replace the rotors?

Did the tire shop watch the rims to see if there was any hop or wobble in the rim itself?

Have the front end checked out???

#5 ·
Thanks for input guys. Yes they checked the wheels when I got new tires. I did replace the rotors which fixed my vibration when braking. It starts at around 55mph and is a little less jarring at 65+ but still there. I will check front suspension really well this evening. I have not driven this truck many miles. When i got it i replaced the tranny and engine.. been doing things a few steps at a time. It has been vibrating for quite some time and did gradually get worse.

#6 ·
i had this problem on my 02, turns out my front differential went bad and the gears were grinding, happened between 50-70, sometimes lower. it wasnt constant though, seemed like a bad wheel bearing, had the same symptoms. but i'm not sure if you have manual lock outs on that truck or not. but i would say check the front diff. fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.