jQuery not supported.

rear clunk noise

rear clunk noise

Postby Thms_2012 [OP] » Aug 27 2013, 3:20pm

I have a 2012 Silverado cc z71. I keep hearing a clunk noise when I slow down and then accelerate. Trying to find the tsb so I can take it with me to the dealer. I don't come to a complete stop when its doing this and I think it does it down shifting when stopping completely (not 100% on that). Does anyone have any info on that. Thanks
Original Poster
Thms_2012
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: rear clunk noise

Postby GM Customer Service » Aug 28 2013, 3:10am

Thms_2012 wrote:I have a 2012 Silverado cc z71. I keep hearing a clunk noise when I slow down and then accelerate. Trying to find the tsb so I can take it with me to the dealer. I don't come to a complete stop when its doing this and I think it does it down shifting when stopping completely (not 100% on that). Does anyone have any info on that. Thanks

Thms_2012,

While we are unable to provide TSBs, we can research any open recalls for you if you message us your VIN. We'd also like to schedule, monitor, and oversee the diagnosis at the dealer. Let us know if we can assist.

Thanks,

William R. (assisting Jessica & Jennifer)
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Thms_2012 [OP] » Aug 28 2013, 2:59pm

Just dropped it off at the local dealer. Service advisor thinks they're going to say it normal. I will send you a private message with the vin and location. Thanks...
Original Poster
Thms_2012
Topics: 5
Extra Info: LT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fastshelly » Aug 28 2013, 3:02pm

All the 6 speeds do it, somebody on this forum said to pack the driveshaft spline with grease and it will stop.
fastshelly
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Crew Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Machster69 » Aug 28 2013, 3:39pm

Which applies to you?
INFORMATION
Bulletin No.: 99-04-20-002H
Date: April 11, 2013
Subject: Information on Driveline Clunk Noise
Models:
2014 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2013-2014 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002G (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).
Important
The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with the following previous bulletins:
- Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke) (Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-17-004B or later)
- Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines) (Corporate Bulletin Number 09-04-21-003D or later)
- Bump Feel/Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Propeller Shaft Slip Yoke Splines) (Corporate Bulletin Number 09-04-17-002E or later)

Some customers of vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, customers of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released. Tipping into the throttle after deceleration can also result in some level of clunk as the driveline is loaded in one direction (coast) then with throttle reapply the driveline gets loaded in the opposite direction (drive). On manual transmission vehicles depressing the clutch while in a deceleration immediately releases load on the driveline and may produce a clunk noise as the driveline unloads.
Note
Compare this complaint vehicle to a like vehicle. If the results are the same, this is a normal condition. For additional diagnostic information, refer to the appropriate Service information.
Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.
The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.
For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.
In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:
- Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components.Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.
- While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.
- For additional diagnostic information, refer to the appropriate Service Information.
Machster69
Topics: 105
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Aug 29 2013, 2:42am

Thank you!

William R. (assisting Jessica & Jennifer)
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Willfull04 » Nov 30 2013, 6:00am

Sorry to resurrect this but when in the drivers seat does the noise seem to come from the right rear corner of the cab or front right corner of the bed? My wife stood outside the car to help pin point and that is the area she pointed too, but it could easily be more aft center. I can tell it is right and aft of me when driving and I hear a clunk under conditions similar to those described by the op. Not the same as the jarring clunk from shifting out of park the posted tsb seems to describe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
"Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof" Leviticus 25:10
The Patriot Post
Willfull04
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership: