jQuery not supported.

Right and Left leaf springs?

Right and Left leaf springs?

Postby tsbrewers [OP] » May 19 2017, 3:09am

Hey all, new poster, so take it easy on me. :)

I have an '00 Silverado 1500. About 15 years ago I installed a set of 3/4 ton springs on the back from a junk yard. A couple years ago, I had a friend following behind me and he said the truck does not drive straight down the road, the rear end is kicked out a little.

Anyway, I am assuming that I installed the springs incorrectly, way back when or something along those lines. I recently crawled under the truck and measured the springs from the axle to the eye bolts. I noticed that the driver's side was running about an inch longer from the front eye bolt, to the axle. So I assumed that I installed one of the two springs "backwards". After finally getting the driver's spring off, with the intention of just flipping it around, I noticed that the springs have different size ends on them. One is a larger diameter than the other. After looking closely, I did have both larger eyes towards the front of the vehicle. (so the springs were oriented the same)

SO, my question is, is there a right and a left to these things? Should the springs just be swapped, drivers to passenger sides? should I just flip the driver's side spring end for end? (thus the eyes would be different from one side of the truck to the other)

Since I will need new bushings, bolts, u-bolts, etc. I am considering just replacing the springs entirely with aftermarket, but am trying to keep it a little more economical.

Thanks for any help.

Brew
Original Poster
tsbrewers
Topics: 1
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Right and Left leaf springs?

Postby tsbrewers [OP] » May 19 2017, 5:37pm

I am embarrassed to say it, but I figured out the problem I believe. Looks like the passenger side spring was not seated correctly on the block that is between the springs and the axle. Looks like I just need to lift the spring off the block and re-seat it correctly. Embarrassed that I didn't figure it out 10 years ago.
Original Poster
tsbrewers
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JoshInWV » May 19 2017, 5:46pm

Hey man, at least you figured it out now and that there was no damage from it not being seated correctly. So I have to ask, why the heavier springs on the 1500? You can't legally haul anymore weight, or was it just time for a refresh and you got 3/4 ones because why the heck not?
I am the Harbinger of Death
JoshInWV
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Location: Ft. Bragg / Ft. Benning / or No Hope Pope, Now in WV.
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 Quad Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby tsbrewers [OP] » May 19 2017, 6:07pm

When I bought the truck at about 30k miles, the springs were already sagging a little. When bought it I put a topper on it and loaded it with tools, so I just threw the heavier springs on. I no longer use the truck really for much besides hunting etc. So thought it would be a good time to pull it apart and check it out. now just pissed I didn't do it years ago.
Original Poster
tsbrewers
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JoshInWV » May 19 2017, 6:10pm

tsbrewers wrote:When I bought the truck at about 30k miles, the springs were already sagging a little. When bought it I put a topper on it and loaded it with tools, so I just threw the heavier springs on. I no longer use the truck really for much besides hunting etc. So thought it would be a good time to pull it apart and check it out. now just pissed I didn't do it years ago.

Nah don't be pissed (I mean I would be too so I know the feeling), BUT you corrected the issue and figured it out. 1 year or 10, doesn't matter.
I am the Harbinger of Death
JoshInWV
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Location: Ft. Bragg / Ft. Benning / or No Hope Pope, Now in WV.
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 Quad Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby tsbrewers [OP] » May 20 2017, 4:01am

Yah,I have only really put about 5,000 miles on it the last 10 years so it has never been a big priority. Never really affected ties or anything like that, still should have been done though.
Original Poster
tsbrewers
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension