Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

shackles

1K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  RIPPEDK20 
#1 ·
So ive been coming along with my solid axle swap.

it used leaf springs in the front.

One of the shackles is giving me a hard time. the Passenger side shackle needs to swing back an inch. but all my attempts have been futile.

i have used ratchet straps, hydraulic jack, hammers pry bars... and it just laughs at me.

the passenger side is high by 1" and the shackle is the culprit. If i jack the truck up , the spring doesnt really flex like its suppose to.. the shackle moves very little...like 1/2"

I have even jacked the truck up and let it down (like dropping it) as fast as i can with the jack and no bueno.

any ideas?

oh and just as a note. yes my shackle hangers measure the same side to side and front to back...so they werent misplaced

#5 ·
ill have to get pics tomorrow.

ive checked and double triple checked. measurements are as required by the instruction.

My right leaf spring seems to be a tad more arched then the driverside.

it flexes a little bit, but i can jack the passenger side up a ft and the spring doesnt really flex enough to get it to go back. ... idk if i should way till its driveable to worry about it...

the trucks not that heavy, as compared what the springs are rated for so maybe wait until a few miles are on them to see if it settles?

#8 ·
I thought the issue was the shackle wouldn't move? Where did you get the leaf springs? The only way to truly compare the arch is to have both springs unhooked from the shackles and measure from center to center of the eyes. If both ends of the drivers side spring are mounted to the shackle and the passenger side isn't, it could appear there is more arch.

#9 ·
Allow me to clarify a little bit

the springs I have are (part #11511-procomp) a 6 leaf 47" spring (23.5" from spring eye to center pin on both sides)

they measure from eyelet to eyelet 45".. these are measured out of the truck ( i did this measurement on flat ground) so prior to install they are correct.

I will get pictures of my shackle angles when i get a chance to go outside.

my driver side shackle angle is straight up and down

my passenger side angle is approximately 10-15 degrees forward of that.

the drive side shackle swings fine (maybe about 1-1.5" swing if i really jounce the truck hard)

the passenger side only swings about 1/2" if i reap up and down on the truck.

what im trying to accomplish is to get the shackle back to where the drive side is...with that "15 degree difference the truck sits 1" higher on the passenger side (measured from center of wheel hub to fender lip)-my measurements are 35.5" on the drivers side and 36.5" on the passenger

i hope this helps clarify things

#12 ·
Something isn't right but I can't wrap my head around it.

#15 ·
Were the spring perches already on the axle or did you put them on?
Pics of the springs themselves?

#18 ·
Can't tell from those pics. With the rear of the passenger spring disconnected, does the shackle move freely?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.