jQuery not supported.

Summit engineering leveling kit?

Any good?

Summit engineering leveling kit?

Postby BIG DOG [OP] » Dec 16 2012, 11:40pm

Has anyone used the summit engineering 3" leveling kit that they have on Ebag top and bottom AL spacers for only $60?
Any info thoughts ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks!
2008 Silverado Z71 5.3 4 spd 4X4 Black crew cab.

Some of the dumbest people I know seem to know everything!........Funny about that!
Original Poster
BIG DOG
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Summit Engineering Top Strut Leveling Kit 2"   Elite Engineering PCV Catch Can   Elite Engineering Catch Can Installation   6" Lift Kit, With Leveling Kit?   Lift kit/leveling kit   Which Leveling kit is the best?   Leveling Kit ?   Leveling kit 2" vs 2.5"   Leveling kit   Leveling Kit   2.5 RC Leveling Kit   What leveling kit do i have?!   leveling kit   Leveling Kit 
Suspension Sponsor
4 Wheel Parts Your Offroad Superstore

Re: Summit engineering leveling kit?

Postby PghMike87 » Dec 29 2012, 5:34am

I just bought the summit engineering 2.5" leveling kit. I did a lot of research and couldn't find anything less expensive that appeared to be good quality. I called Summit to ask about their company. I talked to the owner and he said they make aerospace components and that they evolved from a 4 wheel drive shop into a pure manufacturer after he got the company from his dad.

I'll post more info after I install the kit. I'll post pictures too. I'm hoping all goes well.
PghMike87
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z-71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BIG DOG [OP] » Dec 30 2012, 1:21am

Hey that would be great let me know how it goes in. Is it a top and bottom spacer like the 3"?
I'm a bit worried that the 3" is too much to go for the other componenets up front what do you think?

Some of the dumbest people I know seem to know everything!........Funny about that!
Original Poster
BIG DOG
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tcarr25 » Dec 30 2012, 1:23am

2.5 inch is as much as I would go without a differential drop.
tcarr25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 36
Blogs: 3
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 5.3 LT Z71 Ec
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PghMike87 » Dec 30 2012, 2:14am

It's a top and bottom strut combo. I agree with tcarr. Lifting more than 2.5 inches will change your steering and cv angles too much. If you look at most name brand full suspension lift packages greater than 2.5 inches they include diff drop hardware.

Some say that anything over 2" you should drop the diff. I'm not sure what the right answer is. I've seen posts where guys have used diff mounting spacers and longer bolts as a cheap method. I might consider doing that if I hear noises or feel binding while turning.
PghMike87
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BIG DOG [OP] » Dec 30 2012, 5:21am

That's what I suspected that 3" was too much without dropping the dif. What do you mean feel binding just in the steering while lifted?I feel binding now in 4x4 take it to the dealer and they say nothing wrong. And I realize that there will be some but todays tchnology they should have it sorted out better than that! It binds worse that my 98 it feels more like a 85 the way it bucks and hitches

Original Poster
BIG DOG
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PghMike87 » Dec 30 2012, 7:12pm

When I said binding I meant that as a generic term for noise or anything that doesn't feel normal while turning. This could be the power steering pump whining or something you feel through the steering column. I think the binding you're describing is normal 4WD "hop" that happens when you're in 4WD on dry hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt. When you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side or the other, one wheel has to travel a longer distance which puts stress on your drive shafts and diff. The forces are transferred to the wheels cause them to slip and hop. How much hop you have depends on your trucks gear ratios.
PghMike87
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PghMike87 » Jan 05 2013, 5:41am

I received the Summit Engineering 2.5" kit and installed it today. I'm no mechanic and this is the most involved job I've ever done. The first side took about 6 hours and the second took about 1.5/2 hrs.

The Summit spacers fit perfectly and I got a true 2.5 inches of lift in front. The first side took a long time for the following reasons:

- I've never done this before and I really took my time.
- When you cut the studs on the top of the strut. You're going to be left with a deformed thread that you need to clean up. I had to run out and bought a tap and dye set and ran an M10x1.5 die over the stud. I highly recommend this.
- I highly recommend a ratcheting box wrench for removing the nuts connecting the strut the housing. There's not much clearance and this step took a while.
- It's tough lining up the lower shock mount bolts, A-arm holes, and aluminum spacer. I used punches to line everything up. You'll have to use the floor jack to raise the A-arm and compress the spring in order to get the shock mount bolt started since the shock mount and A-arm are at different angles.
- The upper ball joint and tie rod ball joints spin when you tighten the nuts. I used vice grips on the bottom of the ball joint stems to hold them in place.

Be careful not to pull the half-shaft out of the diff. The knuckle/ rotor assembly hang and pull when you remove the upper ball joint. I used mechanics wire to tie off the assembly.

Once I figured everything out the second side wasn't bad. Ill post pictures soon.
I'm really happy with how it looks. It makes a big difference.
PghMike87
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension