jQuery not supported.

Tie Rod end boots

replace the tie rod or just the bad boot

Tie Rod end boots

Postby Wgreen_71 [OP] » Oct 23 2011, 3:45am

Well, I bought an 06 ext cab, 5.3L flex 1500 a week ago. I was changing the oil and lubing the chassis and I discovered that the front right outer tie rod end boot was cracked really bad, it won't even hold the grease I put into it. Additionally, both lower ball joints are cracked really bad as well and it's only a matter of time, probably not that much either, before they will fail as well. During my search for parts I discovered that I could simply replace the boot on the tie rod end. My question here is whether or not it's worth changing just the boot, or should I bite the bullet spend the few extra dollars and simply just change the tie rod. The vehicle has about 62,300 on it now. I don't drive it off road, mostely just back and forth to work and some very light towing and of course trips to the home center.
Original Poster
Wgreen_71
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT 1500 extended cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Tie Rod end boots

Postby zacharyh687 » Oct 23 2011, 4:57am

you could just replace the boots but to separate the tie rod ends are a pain in the backside as well as the ball joints if you are going to tear it apart to replace the boots i would just replace the whole tie rod ends and ball joints you will already have most of the work already done to replace them you might as well replace them since you are already there and that far in to the project.

but if money is tight and the budget does not allow for the replacement parts just replacing the boots would get you by as long as there is no play in the tie rod ends and ball joints.
zacharyh687
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4L60E
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wgreen_71 [OP] » Oct 23 2011, 4:59am

LOL, sounds about right. I'm laughing because I have a problem w/my HP printer and low and behold, your an HP guy, again LOL.
Original Poster
Wgreen_71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zacharyh687 » Oct 23 2011, 5:02am

that is ironic HMMM... Strange how these things work Huh
zacharyh687
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wgreen_71 [OP] » Oct 23 2011, 5:04am

Ya, I'll have my rack and pinion out anyway because it's leaking and the inner rods are loose as well. I didn't really expect to find those boots bad but what are you gonna do, that is life.
Original Poster
Wgreen_71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zacharyh687 » Oct 23 2011, 5:07am

yea if it isn't 1 thing its another LOL...
zacharyh687
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension