jQuery not supported.

Towing with a lift kit?

Towing with a lift kit?

Postby J34saints [OP] » Dec 18 2013, 7:26pm

I am just a bout to lift my 2011 gmc sierra 6.2 (with the tow package) and i am worried I won't be able to tow my boat. I am going with a 7.5inch rc suspension lift, a 3inch body lift, and hopefully 37's. The boat weighs 6,000 pounds with the trailer and I don't really think power will be the issue (with the 6.2) but rather the truck saging a lot in he back. Can somebody please inform me of what will happen, and will I be able to tow?
Attachments
image.jpg
Original Poster
J34saints
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Blogs: 0
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 1500 sle 6.2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  level kit and towing question   Air assist kit for towing   Towing with rear leveling kit   Lift questions? Towing! Help!   RC lift & level v.s. Tuff Country 2" lift kit   6" Lift Kit, With Leveling Kit?   Do i have to remove level kit for lift kit?   how does would a small lift/33" tires affect max towing?   Lift kit/leveling kit   Looking at a Lift Kit...   RC 3.5 lift kit   Lift kit   RC lift kit   Need help with lift kit 
Suspension Sponsor
4 Wheel Parts Your Offroad Superstore

Re: Towing with a lift kit?

Postby yelton720 » Dec 18 2013, 7:31pm

As long as you get a good WD (weight distribution) hitch you should not have any trouble. I have 7.5" rcx lift with 35's and I am pulling a 30' Travel Trailer with a dry weight of close to 6k and my truck sits practically level maybe 1" high in the front. I have an equalizer hitch.
yelton720
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 07 5.3 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Towing with a lift kit?

Postby deathphoenix99 » Dec 18 2013, 7:46pm

You should be able to tow it, you'll have to get a decent drop hitch though, I know my 82 Ram that's lifted about 5" on 36's needs a 11" drop hitch to pull my car trailer. I'd suggest air bags or helper springs in the rear if you are going to level it out, otherwise it'll sag quite a bit.

One thing to keep in mind, lifting a vehicle raises the center of gravity, and bigger tires doesn't help any, so you will need to be more cautious when towing, otherwise you could get into a roll over or lose control situation. Plenty of lifted vehicles tow, but you need to keep in mind your limits and it won't handle the same or as agile as when it was stock height.
deathphoenix99
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 29
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: SCLB 4.3L LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension