Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

vibration in steering

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gkhatta 
#1 ·
I am not sure how to explain this but I "feel" a vibration through the steering wheel of my 2011 Silverado. It sort of reminds me of the feeling when a pump is low on fluid or is trying to die. I can't believe that the pump is bad and I know its not low. I got the truck about 1 year ago and it had 36k miles on it and now has 51k. The humming or vibration doesn't happen all of the time. I just put new tires on it and had an alignment done. Everything seems right but I cant help but wonder if this is a problem like the one experienced by GM owners a few years ago. I know that the dealer replaced some steering components on my '04 Suburban 1500 due to noise. I think it had to do with a link of some type. Is this something I should have heard about or is it an isolated incident? If anyone has experienced this issue or knows about this, please let me know.

#4 ·
Any concern is certainly understandable regarding an unusual noise. If you feel there could be an issue, a dealership should be able to diagnose the vehicle. If you decide to take it in, please send us PM with your VIN#, contact info + name, situation, dealership, and mileage. We can run the VIN# as well to check for any special coverages or recalls applicable. I hope all is well despite any car issues. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

#5 ·
It has the same feeling as when you turn the wheel too far. The brakes are in good shape and I cant believe that the bearing in the wheels could be bad at 52000mi. I cant understand why there would be an issue with this low amount of miles. The steering hum feels like it is from the pump. I am not sure what the warranty would be on a 2011 but I would think it is new enough that there wouldn't be an issue. I will have it checked by the dealership but I am afraid they won't be able to reproduce the issue. Wish me luck.

#6 ·
First thing make sure all your wheels are balanced. I had a similar problem after going mudding. There was so much dryed up mud in the tires wheel wells it threw off the balance.
I also do not doubt it might be a wheel bearing. I had a hold my beer and watch this moment one day while wheeling and I shattered the wheel bearing. Wobbled for 70 miles then became completely undriveable and I had to have a buddy tow my truck back to the house. The stock wheel bearings GM used are pretty week and I've heard a lot of people have had problems with them breaking after hitting potholes to fast. So if it's a wheel bearing problem get it fixed soon before your stranded out on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.