jQuery not supported.

Wheel vibrating, front of truck shaking

Wheel vibrating, front of truck shaking

Postby Barradas23 [OP] » Sep 18 2011, 4:09am

So when I bought the truck it came with the stock 17", I drove with them for about a month and felt a little shaking when going on the highway( dont remember the exact speed it started shaking).
At that point I thought a tire was bad but since I was thinking of getting 22" or 24" I didnt bother to look into it, and so I did get some 22's from usarims.com. they came balanced and with tires mounted, so I had firestone mount the rims and allign the truck. Well it vibrates when driving ....
It shakes and the steering wheel vibrates when going on the highway like if I were on a bumpy road. I,took it into the dealership to have it checked and they said the suspension was fine and that the truck wasnt doing anything out of the ordinary. Well I dont think the steering wheel vibrating is something normal....

What do u guys recommend?
Is the dealership blowing me off?
Original Poster
Barradas23
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Wheel vibrating, front of truck shaking

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Sep 18 2011, 10:46am

Most commonly, if the shaking is in the wheel, then the alignment is off; on the other hand, if the shaking is coming from the seat, then the balance is off. This is the basic rule of thumb for figuring out what one would have checked.

To answer your other question...I would almost bet that the dealership feels no responsibility for the 22" wheels that you have put on there. You may check around this site in Wheels/Tires section to see if anyone has had a similar problem with such large wheels. I have always bought custom wheels for my trucks, but have never crossed above what it came with stock; I figure the engineers at GM have a reason for putting 18" wheels on my truck, even though their is an optional 20" five spoke. Anything over that size and all kinds of different things can come into play. Just my $0.02...
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator

SierraHarley: The first one changed my life and made me become the person I am today.
RAFFY: your probably dumber after seeing that movie
SierraHarley: That isn't possible
SierraHarley: and it's you're Image
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 145
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby Z15 » Sep 18 2011, 12:34pm

Is there any speed at which it does not shake? Or does is shake all the time.

When driving down the road and its shaking, put it in neutral and if it continues, tires. If it goes away, drive-line related.

Try rotating the front tires to the rear and see if anything changes.

Just because someone balanced the tires does not mean the tires are balanced. Tires can be perfectly balanced on the machine but still shake when driving because the tires are not a true circle, they have a high spot(s) that cause the tires to move up/down and shake when traveling down the h-way. The larger and wider the tires, the harder they can be to balance. Take a look at how much weight is on each wheel, good tires should balance at a few ounces, 1-2 at most. If a larger amount of weight, poor quality tires.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 131
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Sep 18 2011, 2:50pm

Nice Mike! I should have expanded on my thoughts past the wheels causing the shaking in the seat (or under your arse). Off brand tires also have been known to cause many issues, and true balancing is only the tip of the iceberg. Also, less than superior wheels can have an uneven flow of weight through them.
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator

SierraHarley: The first one changed my life and made me become the person I am today.
RAFFY: your probably dumber after seeing that movie
SierraHarley: That isn't possible
SierraHarley: and it's you're Image
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 145
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby SilverSurfer » Sep 19 2011, 6:35am

Is your shake in the low 70's? I haven't had a single vehicle with a/m oversided rims come through the shop that didn't come with a shake at that speed. There is some warpage in the rims that tends to show at that speed and no matter what I couldn't get rid of it.

If you want a good ride, go back to stock. If you want to look cool, drive 55.
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 49
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Barradas23 [OP] » Sep 19 2011, 1:23pm

Ok nice replies, thank you all
Im gonna take it in to check on the alignmnent and balance.
As far as the wheel size I dont think it has anything to do with the shaking, my reasoning is.... I had a 02 trailblazer ltz for a few years with 22's the whole time I owned it and it never did what my truck is doing
Original Poster
Barradas23
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adams99z71 » Sep 19 2011, 3:14pm

well your truck is not exactly a trailblazer. its a truck, its made to tow/haul/drive on crapy roads. you want a smooth ride buy a Cadillac, you want to look cool drive slow. jmo.
nbs99 z71 325ci v8, stock 4wheel disc brakes, no cats, flow master classic 40 series, rhino line, custom fog lights, cb, bully dog tunner, 4:10 locker, airbag load leveling, 205,000miles.
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 325ci Z71 ext cab LS
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby MTPockets » Sep 19 2011, 3:16pm

I'll just throw this out there.
I would check the
Inner and outer tie rod ends
Ball joints
Sway bar end links
Pitman arm
Idler arm
Just for starters. Not saying this will be the problem but it could cause this problem. Also, just because the dealer looked at and said there isn't a problem I would still check it out myself. Just my .02
Good luck
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enought to take everything you have".
-Thomas Jefferson-

MOVΩN λAβЕ
MTPockets
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.0L max package
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SDHQ GOODGUY » Sep 20 2011, 9:32pm

MTPockets wrote:I'll just throw this out there.
I would check the
Inner and outer tie rod ends
Ball joints
Sway bar end links
Pitman arm
Idler arm
Just for starters. Not saying this will be the problem but it could cause this problem. Also, just because the dealer looked at and said there isn't a problem I would still check it out myself. Just my .02
Good luck

x2 start there. has the truck been wrecked?
2WD PRERUNNER BUILD STAY TUNED
JASON@SDHQOFFROAD.COM
SDHQ GOODGUY
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Year: 2007
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension