Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z71 SUSPENSION

25K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ShiningSilver 
#1 ·
I tried this a while back and didn't get an answer. I have a 98 silverado Z71. I'm going to replace the shocks for the 3rd time. I need to know what the factory put on the Z71 as the original shock. Advance Auto and Autozone don't have anything in their listings that mention the Z71 suspension. The guys at the store just say "Oh, this one will work". I took the recommendation of the parts guy when I replaced them at 100,000 miles and put on Monroe magnum shocks and the truck has ridden like my grandmother's Cadillac ever since. Don't want to know what everyone has or recommends, just what make and numbers the factory put on when new. I think they were Bilsteins but don't know what numbers I need for exact replacement. I loved the way it handled and felt when new! Thanks, guys!

#3 ·
I think they were Bilsteins but don't know what numbers I need for exact replacement.
Yes they were Bilsteins BUT you will not be able to buy them in auto parts stores. They are only available from the GM dealer because they are GM Parts with a GM part number and come in a GM box. But get ready for the price shock of your life, they list at $320.20 each.

Shock absorber, all models, heavy duty, w/off road pkg 88-00 $320.20

You only choice is the Dealer or AC Delco

AC Delco Catalog
The prices will be better from a AC Delco retailer than a GM dealer.

I did a quick net search on one of the parts numbers and find them for $140 to $170 each so expect to pay upwards of $600 +- for a set of 4.

AC Delco Product Information

ABSORBER KIT,FRT SHK
Part Number: 540-11
Product Notes:
[Front Shock Absorber]; Monotube gas ; 4WD ; Off Road Chas Pkg (Z71)

Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 1996-1999

ABSORBER KIT,RR SHK
Part Number: 540-5
Product Notes:
[Rear Shock Absorber Kit]; 4WD ; Off Road Chas Pkg (Z71)

Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 1996-1999

#6 ·
Thanks, Z15! The price at Summit seems to be the best. I also went to Bilsteins own sight and found their part numbers - front #F4-BE5-A405-HO and rear #F4-B46-2043-HO. They are listed as a 46mm. monotube heavy duty shock, for anyone else who's looking for the same information. I then did a google search and found a couple of places that have them w/free shipping for about $75.00 each. Thanks to all who helped. What a great site with a fine group of members!!!!! Duane

#7 ·
koolz71 said:
thanx for sharing that link...ive always wondered if rancho shocks were just as good though
Fyi - They are putting Rancho shocks on the GMC All Terrain Pickups. I have one. Also, Tenneco the parent company of Monroe owns Rancho brand.

Fwiw - The ride is good on smooth roads but it very harsh otherwise. Feels like a 100lbs air in the tires on the slightest bad joint in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.