Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 CC - tow rating vs reality

95K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  EX-F150 owner 
#1 ·
Hi all, I just traded trucks and have a couple questions. I had an 2001 Chevy Duramax Diesel with Allison transmission and that thing could tow a mountain - somewhere north of 12000 iirc. I have a travel trailer with a maximum rated weight of 7200 - dry is in the 4000's - 30' overall length - weight distributing hitch and sway bar set.

I had a 1999 5.7L 'Classic' chevy with an aftermarket transcooler that the trailer killed - springs, transmission - very bad mileage; so I went to the 2001 Diesel.

I now have two kids that were getting too big for the extended cab and the new truck seems to fit the bill much better.

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L 6-speed Crew Cab Z71 K5L (heavy duty cooling if I read it correctly) 3.42 axle

According to the owners manual it can pull 9500 pounds - that should be no problem with my rig - on to the questions.....

Anyone tow more than 7000 with a similar rig?
Any upgrades I should do?
I already have Tekonsha Prodigy 1st gen - The wire harness is up behind the dash (according to dealer) - where exactly should I look?

Came with the towing package and has a trans cooler, the only change I have done is to put on a bug guard (GMC parts)

I tow from Mass up into the mountains of Vermont and Maine - maybe 400 miles one way absolute max - usually about 150 miles and 3 hours at a stretch max - the longer trips (to Baxter State Park) go to the 400 miles and 8+ hours total drive time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I posted over at GMC owners also - don't know how many of you frequent that site.

See less See more
#2 ·
On the DIC, you should have a transmission temp gauge as well. Keep a close eye on that as you tow. We just had a separate discussion on this topic, about not letting the tranny exceed about 230 degrees.
You are right about the tow rating with that set up -- it's about 9500 lbs. I am only towing about 4000 with mine, so I cannot comment about how this set up does as you near max capability. Regardless, I think you are going to miss that diesel and that Allison...

#3 ·
If it would have been a Crew Cab instead of the Ext Cab - I wouldn't have traded.

The new diesels are not for me - Urea tanks, DPF's, Cats, EGR's and 5k mile oil changes - no way.

The 2001 had none of that and I could go 15k miles or 1 year with analysis and Amsoil AME (15W-40) full synthetic.

I know it's not going to tow like a diesel but it will tow it and I'm at 75% rated - 80% when the truck is loaded with gear - 87% when the whole family is on a camping trip. So I should be able to haul without breaking anything and have room to do it.

I found the tranny temp gauge in the settings - my last one had an analog gauge so I thought I didn't have one but found it after I bought the truck.

I know I won't be able to do 8% grades start at 55 and get to 75 by the TOP of it - but that wasn't good either. All I ask is to be able to get less than 500 miles from home on camping trips without issue.

#4 ·
I would think you'll be fine. As long as you're brave enough to drive a rig that long, and always watch those temps, you should be OK.

#6 ·
I won't even pretend that I know what your truck will or won't tow with your factory set-up. But I can share with you that I have also used Amsoil for many years and have seen my trans temps in my '04 vette get to 249*F. I was concerned about it but unable to do anything about it. Anyway, the long and short of it is that Amsoil stood up to the heat and the trans is absolutely fine. Not trying to start an "oil war" here, but in my opinion the cheapest insurance I ever bought was putting Amsoil in that car - and every car I own.
Best wishes -
Glen

#7 ·
I use Amsoil exclusivley in everything I own. Just during break-in I can't - so I go with the factory stuff.

I just need to find the Amsoil cross for Dexron VI and swap it in the spring.

I'll swap the diff fluid at 500 miles and put SVG 75W-90 in and do a conventional oil change also - maybe stick a fumato drain valve on it make to me on time.

#8 ·
What's the trailers tounge weight? Depending on what WD hitch you have have, you may want to consider bags to level the truck out better. I understand the rig may be rated to tow it, but depending on your TT it could ride a little heavy in the front and kill your MPG going up hills.

#9 ·
GM-GUY said:
I just need to find the Amsoil cross for Dexron VI and swap it in the spring.
Z15 to the rescue! :D

Seriously, GM-GUY, one of our members, Z15 (Mike) is also a sponsor of the site and an AMSoil distributor. No doubt he will help ya with the cross-reference, and can even get you some great deals on the products. Nice to see another storng advocate of AMSoil here on the site!

#10 ·
I hate to be the barer of bad news but your truck is rated for 7000lbs not 9600lbs, the 9600lbs is with the 6.2l engine. So you will be pulling more than the rated limit.

#11 ·
Double check that, truckguy. I think he is right. Oddly, the 5.3 is rated higher than the 6.2. I double checked the user manual.

Page 9-99 of the manual:
5.3LV8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg 3.42 4 355 kg (9,600 lbs)
6.2LV8 3.42 3 039 kg (6,700 lbs)
6.2LV8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg 3.42 4 400 kg (9,700 lbs)

#13 ·
#15 ·
Mine is the same, sticker (VIN break down) states 7000, owners manual says 9500, Best bet is to either look @ sticker or go to your dealer & have the VIN broke down check out this link on GM's website http://www.gmc.com/sierra/1500/specsCapabilities.jsp under towing capabilities.

#16 ·
I come up with 9,500 for my truck, using both the chart AK posted, and the link gmctruckguy provided. Sweet, considering I never go over 5,000. I probably won't even need the tow/haul mode.

#17 ·
aksierra - you're looking at GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That's not the towing capacity. I think that's the max total weight of the actual truck.

But to muddy the waters a little more on the 5.3 towing, I've run into the following problem - The manual says a truck like the original poster's (and mine) can tow 9,500 on page 9-102. But when you go to GMC's spec website, there are 2 options listed. "Crew Cab Short Box 4wd" will tow 6,700 with a 5.3 and 3.42 gears. There's also a listing for "Crew Cab Short Box 4wd without MAX trailering pack" that will tow 9,500 pounds with a 5.3 and 3.42 gearing. Am I missing something here, or is this contradictory?

#20 ·
FairviewLT said:
aksierra11 said:
Every time I go to the local landfill I look at my truck on the scale and its just a little over 5000 pounds. Not sure where the truck could get another 2500 pounds added on to it...
Heh - me and 3 friends could get you about halfway there...
Well I guess that includes gear, and people and fuel and anything else you want to put in there. Guess it could add up :lol:

#21 ·
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I think the site is NOT contradictory - the lowest is with no options - the second "without Max trailering package"=5.3l with 'std' tow package is at 9500 and the MAX is the 6.2l

It sounds from all the replies that I am safe and can tow happily, just keep the tranny is safe temp range and measure the tongue weight to make sure (pretty sure it's in the 700-800 lb range)

#23 ·
GVWR is truck plus cargo (payload in the bed). Just a fair warning with these beautifull Chevy trucks, I think they forgot to put a set of balls in one of my work trucks. It's a 2010 quad cab 3500 dually with the 6.0 gas and 4.10 gears. We tow 10,600lb boat/trailer and I practically have to push this thing up hills! Seriously, you can walk faster than it craws up one of our hills with the peddel slammed. The manual states it's rated for 12,500 w/o weigth ditribution and 4.10 gears. I think thats crap. You bought a half ton truck. Pushing it would cost you in the long run. Also, try and tow with your TT's tanks empty and fill them when you get close to your spot if you can. That will shed a few pounds. Next, scare yourself and take it to the scales when you load it up for a long weekend to see what you are actually pulling! If your anything like our family, we packed a ton of crap! Those weights listed on the trailers aren't exactly accurate. Mine was a few hundred lbs more than the empy stamped wieght. Good luck!

What WD hitch are you using?

#24 ·
I don't remember the name and the hitch and trailer are buried back in the snow so I'm not looking today :D

I can tell you I got it from a trailer dealer in my area that does great work and it looks like a Curt 17302 "?Trunion Style?" but I think it's a Reese - I think the whole setup is, 2" mount, sway bar and spring bars.

The only thing I may have to do is move the ball/mount up or down on the adustment bar to level it up nice.

I do agree that the weights can be iffy - especially when you load bikes, firewood, and everything else the family wants. That's why I wanted to be above the quoted max trailer weight by at least 2000 pounds (I'm 2300) that give me a safety cushion and no excuses from GM if something should happen.

#26 ·
GM-GUY said:
The new diesels are not for me - Urea tanks, DPF's, Cats, EGR's and 5k mile oil changes - no way.
No pun intended and I hope this truck works out for you but is this not the same case for the new truck you just purchased?

I am getting my new Chevy this Thursday so I can't help much for how well your set up is gonna be except to say that I am going to be towing 7K with mine. I got a 6.2 with the max tow package w/3.73 gears. I feel confident that it will not be an issue for me. On the other hand, I am coming from Ford and had a 2005 F150 5.4 with the 3.73 gears and killed the tranny at 66K miles. That truck was rated to tow 8,800 lbs.

What I can say is that I've always been told to not buy a truck that your load exceeds 75% of the tow rating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.