Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2011 Sierra tow limit....

5K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  Mtncrash 
#1 ·
Hey Guys....newbie here. Thanks in advance for the info.
The folks at GM told me that my VIN indicates I have a 308 rear end and the HD cooling package. From the VERY confusing charts I think I've come up with a 6600 tow limit for my 2011 5.3L Z71. 308 sounds awfully tall, can that be right? Can I expect an uphill tow to be a challenge, even if I use the tow/haul switch?

#4 ·
The trailer I expect to be towing weighs in empty at about 5300 lbs and maxes out around 7500, although I suspect normal tow weight to be about 6500. My 2011 is stock except for a cold air intake. Rims are stock. Sounds like it won't pull the trailer with gusto but she'll get the job done, right?

#5 ·
It will do the job, just keep the transmission out of 5th and 6th gear(5th may be ok on the highway). The truck's brakes and suspension are the same as one rated for 9k lbs and are up to the job, its just that it would struggle pulling in the overdriven gears. With the 6spd auto, in the first 5 gears, you still have better effective gearing than an old 4spd auto truck w/ 3.73s.

#6 ·
Wow, you guys are a wealth of info. I'm new to this truck and tow system so if I understand it correctly, I should use MANUAL mode on the shift stalk, limit the +/- to 4th gear (except at sustained highway speeds, then 5th is okay) and also engage the tow/haul mode, keeping an eye on the transmission temps, is that right? And what should the trans temp be limited to, and what do I do if those temps are exceeded? Any other tips for towing with a 3.08 rear end? Thank you, Gentlemen!

#7 ·
Airbrush-that's too much trailer for your truck. It will pull it-you will be at your max payload and it won't be fun.

Sorry!

As far as the tranny temp is concerned-you don't have anything to worry about until you reach 265 degrees. You should never be near that.

However, I recommend not buying that trailer.

#8 ·
Yep, I realize it will be pushing the max recommended limit. The trailer is a Keystone Outback 230RS Toy Hauler. The manufacturer states that it is built for any 1/2 ton to pull it (of course they'll say that!) . Each time I need to move it is about a two hour pull.

#14 ·
If you regear your truck to different size gears . That still does not change your towing capacity .
What ever is stamped on your truck from factory regardless of any upgrades is all you are allowed to tow BY LAW

Anything over the stamped limit you will be considered a wreak less driver by insurance companies and the state troopers. YOU are responsible for knowing the weights of your truck , cargo ,trailer . Anything is to go wrong and you are over the stamped limit YOU are held completely reasponsible .

It's not a matter of proving if your truck is strong enough . It's about following the law.

If you were to upgrade your gearing,bigger brakes beefier rear springs. By law you can only tow what is stamped. But it will tow better and safer.

So don't be confused that by adding different thing that your towing capacity will go up.

#15 ·
Okay, I get that. I just need to understand WHY this particular trailer is considered TOO much load. If the total weight (of this or any other trailer) is at or under the factory certified tow limits, what makes towing it unsafe? The trailer manufacturer states that a 1/2 ton truck can pull it AND the GVWR is UNDER the GM rating of 6600 lbs, why not? And my point in asking about the gearing is this... If two trucks have the same frame, suspension, and brakes, but one has a 3.08 rear end and the other a 3.42, other than getting the load moving, WHY does the 3.42 get rated at 9600lbs and the 3.08 at 6600lbs? Thanks in advance for the education.

#18 ·
Okay. Read it. I understood all that and already knew most of it anyway, except for the taller tire stuff. My question is WHY are some here saying that a 6500 lb trailer is too much for my 3.08 equipped rear end when GM says I can pull 6600? I will only pull this trailer about a two hour distance a few times a year so WHY is this an overload?

#20 ·
Well, the empty weight is 5300. TOTALLY loaded with gear is about 1000lbs more, making the max weight still several hundred pounds UNDER, not over, the recommended max. When I bought this truck (used) it was not known that I MAY be pulling a trailer some day so the axle ratio was not a factor, but now that I find the need to move a trailer a few times a year, I just wanted to learn more about how to safely do it. Now I know I CAN do it, legally too, just not to expect any rapid acceleration. I drive a piece of equipment with a max load of 205,000 lbs and if I told my boss I wouldn't take it with a max load I wouldn't have my job too long. Now with the info I've garnered here I know using the manual trans mode and the tow/haul feature I can move this trailer if I need to. Thanks, guys.

#22 ·
I didn't come on board to get permission from anyone, simply to better understand the tow/haul system and the manual trans feature for towing. My max load will be UNDER the factory recommended limit, that part is not in doubt. Unless you are a GM certified engineer, I think I'll believe the factory first. Besides, I never did get an answer as to WHY you say it's not safe, and just saying I''d be AT the limit doesn't explain your reasoning. Towing OVER the limit, yes, but AT or UNDER? If 6500 lbs wasn't safe, there wouldn't be a 6600 lb limit on it! Flying my airplane at a weight UNDER the limit, just because "I" decided not to fly it at the factory certified max, is assuming I know more than the engineers that built it and a waste of potential. Towing up to 6600 is safe or the engineers and Lawyers for GM would not have allowed them to print it!

#24 ·
You must take into consideration, that the 6600 lbs includes what you put in your truck... the GCWR will state the max you can weight truck/tailer.. you can't max both at the same time!

On my truck, I can't max my GVWR of 7000lbs and expect to tow my max rating of 9300lbs... I will be at 16300lbs and my GCWR is only 15000lbs from GM data.

And since my truck, full gas, with me and tools, weigh 6100lbs on the scale, I can only legally tow 8900lbs...
Which is why you shouldn't tow near the max tow... you will be overload pretty sure!

#25 ·
Let's get back to the original question of why the same truck with same engine suspension has different tow rating just cause of gearing.

308 gears put a big stress on your engine and transmission when you load it .

It like trying to ride a 10 speed bike uphill on your highest gears.

So when you head up a steep hill with let's say 6,600 lbs trailer with 308 gears you are putting the same amount of stress on your engine and transmission

As going up a steep hill with a trailer that 9,300 lbs with 373 gears.

Yes it's the same truck ,engine,transmission, suspension,brakes. But the engineers have to stamp the max limit based on gearing size the truck was made with.

I have 373 gears but I also just changed my tire size to a bigger tire. So I know it has changed my overall towing capacity . I will change my gears to 410 to make up for the difference so when I tow I will still have that sweet low torque .

If you regear your truck to let's say 373 gears your truck will tow way better when going up hills and passing. Unfortunately you will still only be able to tow 6,600 lbs due to the factory rating. Even though the truck is now equipped just like one rated for 9,300 lbs.

I would recommend regearing your truck to get great towing performance out of it. But don't ever tow past it's limits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.