jQuery not supported.

3.08 gear towing more than stated capacity

Can I tow more than 6800 stated capacity

3.08 gear towing more than stated capacity

Postby cliff [OP] » Apr 07 2011, 8:53pm

im new to this forum and to trucks altogether so its no wonder i may have made a mistake with this truck. 2011 silverado 5.3l v8 with 3.08 and tow package towing 7800. i realize the state capacity for this truck is 6800 with the 3.08 gear but can you give me your thoughts on if i am ok towing well over that limit? what are the adverse affects of towing this much over a 3 year period? im towing a 6700 lb tow trailer rv but when loaded i must be somewhere around 7300-7500 not including what i have in the bed or cap. thank you.
Original Poster
cliff
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 v8 3.08 gear
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Towing Capacity   Towing Capacity   towing capacity   Increase towing capacity   1995 GMC Towing capacity   Changing rear end ratio to improve towing capacity   Superior Gear is now Revolution Gear..   2014 GM Towing Manual & Recreational Towing   need help with a Hight capacity RADIATOR   Confused on fluid capacity   Truck weight and payload capacity   rear differential lube capacity   2014 1500 maximum trailering hitch capacity   New PML extra capacity trans pan arrived today 
Towing/Trailers Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 3.08 gear towing more than stated capacity

Postby starspangled6.0 » Apr 07 2011, 9:48pm

A couple of things: trucks nowadays can tow virtually anything they want. Dodge ran an add a few years ago, in which their HD truck towed one of those monster dump trucks used in mining, which weighed something north of 100,000 pounds, or maybe even 250,000. But, the key thing is, SAFETY!

Truck drivers all have their own formulas- some will tow up to what the truck is rated, some will go over, some will only tow about 80% of the rating. If it were me, I'd call up the dealership, and see what they will say.

There's lots of guys that tow on here, so hopefully someone else will give you their two cents.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 304
Blogs: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby StarsnBars » Apr 07 2011, 11:41pm

Hate to say this but your going to be towing alot more than your truck is rated for. Not good, safety is a concern, stopping, control, etc. The truck itself will probably be OK with proper towing break in and tow package. Sometimes more is better, and in your case with your RV, more sounds pretty good. Maybe your dealer can work something out with you. Did he know what you were planning on towing ?
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 235
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Apr 08 2011, 12:17am

Can the truck do it? Yes. But you will wear things out much faster.
But, to the point of all the other posters, you are a safety hazard doing that. And, if you are in an accident while towing and your insurance company investigates, you may be on your own as far as liability and coverage go.
You really do not want to do this. General rule of thumb is to never tow more than 80% of the rated capacity.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby cliff [OP] » Apr 08 2011, 12:31am

thanks for the great advice and replies. i sincerely appreciate it. however, i see that this same truck with a simple 3.42 gear states it can tow up to 9600lbs. the rv has brakes and my prodigy configured properly actually stops me so i know brakeing is ok. i towed this rv back from the dealer and all seemed ok. i felt thing behind me dont get me wrong but then towed it camping running 65mph on i75 and its seemed fine too. believe you me i am not trying to discount what some of the posts are saying because logically it makes sense. but, how can a gear change affect the "braking" and "safety" of the tow vehicle? other than the obvious acceleration part with merging and passing. thank you again.
Original Poster
cliff
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 02ZL1_97SS » Apr 08 2011, 12:58am

Life is a learning process isn't it? :lol:

I tow also. That's why when I purchased my 2010 Silverado LT CrewCab 4X4, I got the 6.2 liter engine with 3.73 gears and the max tow package. My truck is rated to tow 10,400 lbs.

What you "might" do it take your truck either to the dealer or a reputable shop and have them swap out your rear differential gears from 3.08 to 3.42's or even better yet, to 3.73's. I realize your gas mileage will suffer but you will certainly extend the life of your truck engine, transmission and differential. Remember when you were a kid......................a 20" bike was easier to pedal up a hill than a 26" because the sprocket was smaller. The same is true with your truck. If you are pulling a load with 3.73's, it will pull much easier than with 3.08's. The 3.08's are better for gas mileage when you aren't pulling anything and you would have more top-end m.p.h. (like this is important in a pickup truck :lol: ) but again the 3.73's will allow that 5.3 to pull that camper. To swap the gears out wouldn't be overly expensive and it would probably be best to have the dealership do it so that you don't void your warranty. :D
J.D.
2011 Tahoe LS/2010 Silverado LT/2009 Cobalt LT/1997 Camaro SS convertible/2002 Phase II ZL1 Supercar Camaro
02ZL1_97SS
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Extra Info: 6.2 LT CrewCab 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cliff [OP] » Apr 08 2011, 12:45pm

thank you for the reply. real good points. yeah i really learned on this one. believe it or not the truck is a lease so i really dont want to put any aftermarket money into it. im only going to have it 3 years and im in florida so the most hills i see is i75 overpasses. i dont plan on taking any trips up north of orlando. im just going to have to live with it and see how the truck does. thanks again.
Original Poster
cliff
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Apr 08 2011, 1:11pm

You might have a point to be made with the dealer....
If the dealer that leased the truck to you knew how much weight you were towing, and they leased you the truck anyway, they may have some liability. Both from the safety aspect, and from the additional wear and tear on the vehicle. I would let the dealer know the situation, and get something in writing that says you will not void the lease agreement by towing over the stated weight rating. By the way, I am certain there is no way a dealer would agree to do that.
And at that point, you use that as leverage to break the lease agreement and get you into the right truck.

If they won't work with you, you could also have an issue at the end of your lease, if they try to ding you for any wear and tear. Towing above the rated GVW will not be viewed by them as "normal", and you will be on the hook.

Protect yourself.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby HartskiHartski is online! » Apr 08 2011, 1:24pm

Trade that baby in for a 6.2!!
in omnia paratus
HartskiHartski is online!
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Apr 08 2011, 1:33pm

If it's a lease, why worry?
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Next

Return to Towing/Trailers