jQuery not supported.

Backup sensors

Sensors picking up trailer hitch

Backup sensors

Postby jhsvt [OP] » Apr 24 2011, 3:03pm

After installing a trailer hitch on my 2011 Silverado I am getting errors about the backup sensors being blocked. If I remove the hitch then the error goes away. There is nothing unusual about the hitch itself. It doesn't stick out very far at all. Is there a way to disable the 2 backup sensors near the hitch? I was going to try and change the "aim" of the sensors but there is no adjustment possible. I'd rather not have to take the hitch off every time I'm not towing. Thought someone else might have run into this problem.
Original Poster
jhsvt
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Backup Sensors and Plasti-Dip   Backup camera/Sensors..... Options?   Backup lights   Backup cameras   Backup Cameras   Backup lighting   O2 sensors help   O2 sensors   KC Backup Lights kit.   Factory Backup Camera please help.   Kenwood backup camera   Knock sensors   Need Tpms sensors   Can't figure out o2 sensors 
Towing/Trailers Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Backup sensors

Postby EKinMN » Apr 24 2011, 3:33pm

We have discussed this in other threads before. Short of hitting the disable button for the sensors each time, I do not think you have much of an option. I have not heard of anyone disabling the inboard sensors before.
Why are you opposed to removing the hitch? I pull mine out when I am done towing, and keep it under the back seat. That keeps it from getting rusty and nasty.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby jhsvt [OP] » Apr 24 2011, 4:26pm

I'm sorry to repost the problem. I did some searches and didn't come up with anything. I guess I will just remove the hitch when not using it. I was just trying to avoid having to do this as my wife will be doing it mostly what with her pulling her horse trailer. Seems a bad design to me.
Original Poster
jhsvt
Topics: 1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Apr 24 2011, 4:31pm

No problem, thanks for searching first. To your point, I'd love if someone investigated how to re-aim or disable the inboard sensors. I agree with you that it's a poor design as-is. It is nice to know how sensitive the sensors are, though.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby GMman » Apr 29 2011, 5:08am

It has been a common complaint with any truck with factory backup sensors. I don't have them as I like my hitch left on the truck and locking pin.
Thank you
Ken
2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew 4x4 Z71 5.3L
GMman
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Blogs: 10
Extra Info: SLE CREW 5.3L 4x4Z
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby aksierra11 » Apr 29 2011, 5:54am

Don't have backup sensors on my 2011 Sierra but I had an 07 Avalanche before this and I could have swore the backup alarm was disabled once I plugged a wiring harness into it....
aksierra11
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Blogs: 10
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Chasmanian » Apr 29 2011, 6:37am

I never pulled mine on the 99 as it save me a couple times from being hit in the rear at stop lights. ( saved the bumper both times )

Never had an issue on the GMC but it gets removed more often as we go off road and need it out of the way. Maybe I just got lucky with how they are aimed.
2014 Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax 4x4
99 Sliverado 1500 2 wheel drive with 335,000 miles and stil going strong

Buying things I don't need to impress people I don't know.
Chasmanian
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 111
Blogs: 7
Year: 2014
Extra Info: HD 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby CHEBBY » Apr 29 2011, 11:42am

If i leave the hitch in the receiver it is
constantly saying in the DIC disabled.
The thing that bugs me is that message stays
there till you do something about it.

Chebby
CHEBBY
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Extra Info: 1500 6.2 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BIG E » Apr 29 2011, 1:00pm

I posted about this very problem. Really haven't found anything that we can do. I like the idea of leaving the hitch in with the locking pin, but I like the backup sensors more, so I just remove it now. I'm still thinking about this more and more as it is now fishing time!

I'll post if I ever come up with anything.
BIG E -------> Eric
BIG E
Topics: 13
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Apr 29 2011, 1:16pm

I found a really cool storage bag for the hitch, 7 pin adapter and accessories. I will take some pics this weekend, and post 'em. So, I will probably take mine out every time so I don't have the sensor issue.
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users
Next

Return to Towing/Trailers

Common search terms

problem mine getting post backup sensors thing done lights back keep love pics think first nice still thanks anyone rear

It is currently Jul 26 2014, 10:07am

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
SHOP TALK (Live Chat)
Towing/Trailers Forum
Towing/TrailersDiscuss towing and trailers and plows, or overdrive and hitch towing capacity (gvw) and tongue weight for heavy loads. This is the place for tow hitches, receivers, and trailer wiring as well as snow plowing.
To create a new topic in Towing/Trailers, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds