jQuery not supported.

Hitch rating

2011 Sierra

Hitch rating

Postby Foggyman [OP] » Oct 16 2011, 4:57pm

Hello Folks,
I think one of you kind folks gave me this info awhile ago. Sorry misplaced it.
2011 1500 Sierra 4.8, factory class three hitch. I am trying to get the max. hitch weight and the dealer cannot provide it it ???
From on line I get
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500 lbs. ( what is dead hitch weight VS max. tongue weight?)
Wt. Distributing Hitch - Max. Tongue Weight 705 lbs.
Max Trailering capacity 4700 lbs. ( that I am aware of)
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Weight 4597 lbs.
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Weight 459.70 lbs.
Weight Distributing Hitch - Max Trailers Weight 4597 lbs
Weight Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Weight 551.64 lbs.
All very confusing.
The OEM factory hitch stamp (located on the right side of the hitch) only gives the max trailer weight the Class Three hitch will carry.
Sorry for all the facts but hopefully I can get an answer.
I am considering a trailer with a hitch weight of 420 lbs.
Thanks in advance,
Wil
Original Poster
Foggyman
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.8V8 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Hitch rating

Postby BuxCamper » Oct 17 2011, 2:11am

Weight distribution transfers some of the tongue weight back to the front of the tow vehicle. So a trailer with a tongue weight of 500 lbs would present a lot less to the tow vehicle when used with a WD system. That's the reason for the two numbers. So 705 lbs od tongue weight will not look like more than 420 lbs of dead weight on the hitch when a WD system is used.
-- Mark

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4x2 with 5.3L V8
Steel Green Metallic (sure looks gray to me)
Advantage Torzatop
Raptor Stainless Steel 4" Ovals
BuxCamper
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Ext cab 5.3L V8 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fajitas21 » Oct 17 2011, 3:56am

When you say you're looking at a trailer with 420 LBS tongue weight I'll assume since you have an idea of the weight of the trailer tongue, you're referring to a travel trailer.

I'll tell you that the "dry weight" listed on the trailer doesn't include a few things 99% of the time:

Propane Tanks ( ~ 50 - 80 lbs)
Battery ( 20 lbs )
WD Hitch ( ~ 50 - 70 lbs)

Additional weight of stuff in trailer, which usually add about 10% of their weight directly to the hitch, such as a A/C ( ~ 30 or 40 lbs ), and any liquids in the trailer.

That also doesn't account for anything YOU add to it, and the average person adds about 1000 lbs to their trailers.

My travel trailer's dry weight is 320 lbs and I have weighed with the bathroom scale method and it's sitting around 490lbs with my trailer ready to camp.
Last edited by fajitas21 on Oct 17 2011, 4:00am, edited 1 time in total.
fajitas21
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Extra Info: Silverado 1500 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fajitas21 » Oct 17 2011, 4:00am

Also, keep in the mind that a weight distribution hitch will re-distribute some of the weight being put on the axles from the rear of the truck to the front axle of the truck, and the axles of the trailer, but it does NOT change the weight of the tongue. However, there's two different specs for acceptable tongue weight as you mentioned above.

Dead weight, also called Weight Carrying...and then WD weight (Which will be more), which according to your info above you are stating it's around 705 lbs.
fajitas21
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Foggyman [OP] » Oct 17 2011, 9:04pm

Many thanks fajitas21 for your responses.
Good info. But I got the looks and not the brains in our family, so I must still ask what is my (I guess dead weight) or just hooker up and go hitch weight ? No weight distributing hitch .
Miffed the Stealership can't give me this.
Regards
Original Poster
Foggyman
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fajitas21 » Oct 17 2011, 11:44pm

The reason they can't is because there's a Silverado 1500, but there's like a billion different ways to make one.

You got the 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L and 6.2L engines and they all have different tow ratings.
You got Z71, Z82, Z85 suspension packages, all change towing and payload ratings.
You got Regular, Extended, and Crew Cabs, all with different payload ratings.
Gear ratio will make a difference (towing cap), and if your truck is 2WD or 4WD (different axle weights)

You got class 3 and 4 hitches, and each have different ratings.

However, what I think you're looking for is in the instruction manual, it's there..just a bit tricky. I'll see if I can help you find out what you need to know.

I need your Year model, Engine size, cab (regular, extended, crew), and if you know it, the suspension options (Z85, etc). Should be on your window sticker to collect all this stuff.

Then we'll look in the instruction book and find your config, and it will tell you what you can tow.

Also, you'll need your Axle Ratings and Payload ratings, but that's the easy part...they are on the inside of your driver's door (it will have a real world adjusted payload or cargo carrying capacity and also give your axle ratings.) Also need your Gear Ratio and if it's a 4 or 6 speed. Finally, need to know if you have the HD Cooling package (transmission cooler).

When you get a minute, gather this up for us and we'll help you find out what your truck is rated for.

To give you an example of mine so you know what you're looking for, it's on page 9-93 of my manual.

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab | 5.3L V8 with HD Cooling Pkg | Z85 suspension | Axle Ratio = 3.42 6 speed.
It lists my Max Trailer at 9600 LBS and my Gross Combined (wieght of truck and trailer) at 15000 lbs.

From there I can back research my Tongue weight to 705 lbs dead and 1100 lbs with WD hitch.

We'll start there, see what you can find out.
fajitas21
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Foggyman [OP] » Oct 19 2011, 2:03pm

Many thanks to all who replied especially fritas21.
I finally got someone at the stealership to give me his opinion. With my set up my hitch weight is 470 max. weight.
Great site and friendly helpful folks.
Regards
Original Poster
Foggyman
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MH Hawker » Feb 17 2013, 5:24pm

2005 and still going strong

MH Hawker
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: K1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby coppolac » Mar 21 2013, 6:00pm

I have been trying to determine the capacity for my truck, but the more I read the more confused I get. If someone could help me it would be great. New to this forum, but I like what I have been reading. I have 2009 Silverado LT, Extended cab, 4x4, 5.3L V8, Z85 Suspension, Towing Package, with a 3.73 gear ratio. I just cannot come up with the number that makes sense with this configuration. Am I limited to 7,500lbs, or can I go up to 9,600lbs. I do have two extra coolers in front of the radiator, I am assuming these are for the oil and transmission cooling. If anyone can offer the information I am looking for that would be great.
coppolac
Topics: 3
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MH Hawker » Mar 21 2013, 10:11pm

I have found this site very help full to sort out towing capisitys.

http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/guidelines/towing_capacities.html
2005 and still going strong

MH Hawker
Year: 2005
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: K1500
Group Membership: