Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

new travel trailer towing impressions

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  shepss217 
#1 ·
I just bought my new travel trailer and I just wanted to give any other newbies like myself my opinions to maybe make it easier when purchasing a new tt. first my truck is a 2013 chevy 1500 extended cab 4x4 with the 5.3 motor and full tow package rated to tow up to 9600 pounds. the trailer I bought is a jayco jayfeather 24t weighing in at about 4800 pounds dry with an overall length of 27' 8. I did a lot of research when I bought this trailer as I wanted something that wouldn't overwhelm my pickup. I have towed it quite a ways now and it seems to be a good match for the truck, when I picked up the trailer it was 4 hours from home thru mountainous terrain and I was able to maintain the speed limit even on the biggest hills and I was bucking a nasty head wind that occasionally turned into crosswinds. I have to say that I never had any white knuckle moments even though I could feel the crosswinds a bit. I did buy an equalizer hitch and had the rv place set it up properly for me and I'm sure that helped. I have since put on firestone air bags and bought a set of the trailer towing mirrors that clip on to the outside of the stock mirrors. both were great additions and I would recommend them. now I'm sure I could easily handle a trailer that is bigger and heavier than the one I bought and lots of people do but for the backroads and mountainous areas that I camp in this trailer is just what I need. I hope this helps some people that are doing research like I was and feel free to ask me any questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you found the perfect match for your truck. The only additional advice I can give to your set up is get actual tow mirrors. I used the clip on myself and recently just installed GM factory tows and the field of vision is greatly increased especially when changing lanes in multiple lanes on the interstate. I just got back from a recent trip that took the tt through I-75 in alanta ga and the tows were great compared to the cipa's. Have a great time on your next pull...

#4 ·
i wasnt' real impressed with how my 07 nbs sierrra towed, i was towing a 5,500 lb dry weight camper and the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear was really slow, 2-3 was a little better, that was after installing a programmer to help the truck shift faster, my transmission temp averaged about 25 degrees hotter while towing.i went ahead and ordered a corvette servo kit to help it out, hopefully that does the trick,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.