jQuery not supported.

setting up the integrated trailer brake control system

setting up the trailer brake controller

Postby lanningjw [OP] » Apr 19 2011, 2:18pm

My truck came with the factory installed (ITBC) and is a great addition to the truck. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience setting up the system with a trailer? Pages 9-114 and 9-115 of the manual explains the process of setting the gain with the trailer. The dealer gave me a completely different set-up process, and am not sure he knows what he talking about.

I had a Prodigy brake controller on my old Silverado and it was a top of the line brake controller.

Original Poster
lanningjw
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: excab8ftbox3.08axle
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  2014 Integrated Trailer Brake   trailer brake system   Service traction control/stabiltrac/trailer brake/ abs light   2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD "Service Trailer Brake System"   integrated brake controller?   Problem with integrated brake controller   Service brake system and parking brake light on   Trailer Brake Controller   Trailer brake controller   Right trailer brake light   basic trailer brake info   2009 LTZ trailer brake wiring   Intermittant left brake light on trailer and or camper   brake system HELP!! 
Towing/Trailers Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: setting up the integrated trailer brake control system

Postby lanningjw [OP] » Apr 19 2011, 4:40pm

Went to my TT forum and got some info
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... m#24991141
Original Poster
lanningjw
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby oneillt » Apr 19 2011, 5:08pm

Is there a guide somewhere for installation of an aftermarket one? My truck came with one but it does not appear to be working, not even getting power.
oneillt
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 13
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 4x4 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » May 01 2011, 2:10pm

Mine has this OEM controller too, but my trailer has surge brakes, not electric brakes. So, I guess I don't need to use it. But wanted to give you a bit of a "bump", since this would be a good question to have answered.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby gmctruckguy » May 01 2011, 5:45pm

Try setting it as per the instruction manual if you have your doubts on the dealers competence.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Blogs: 1
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby crash519 » May 03 2011, 6:27pm

Not to highjack the thread, but is the integrated tb controller a dealer installed item? Can it be added easily to one that doesn't have it. That's one of the things I wanted but didn't get :(
crash519
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Extra Info: CC Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby davidbarrett » May 03 2011, 6:33pm

crash519 wrote:Not to highjack the thread, but is the integrated tb controller a dealer installed item? Can it be added easily to one that doesn't have it. That's one of the things I wanted but didn't get :(

Hi if you go to the search bar and put in trailer brake there are pages and pages on that subject. I hope this helps
David Barrett
davidbarrett
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Blogs: 10
Extra Info: 2500 HD Ext cab
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lanningjw [OP] » May 03 2011, 8:22pm

Hey David, How are you doing.

I wish it was that simple.....Doing a search engine....I have found nothing about setting up the ITBC.

I pulled our camper back from storage at the dealer and it could not of been simpler to use. I started at a gain of 5 and felt the sweet spot was 6.5. pulling our 4,500 camper. It worked so much better than the prodigy controller. An the new truck pulled the camper so much better than my 17 year old Silverado....
Original Poster
lanningjw
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby davidbarrett » May 03 2011, 10:08pm

Hi I will be doing the same thing with my new 24 foot trailer once I pick it up on May 10th, and I was told to lock the wheels at 30 km/hr and then set the gain to just before the lock, I have the GM installed system, I will let you know how it works for me later, my camper is 7000 lbs fully laden. I am going to try different methods that I have read on this fantastic Silverado/Sierra Web site.

Here is one I found on Google
You want to adjust the gain so that you can "lock up" your trailer brakes using the IBC brake switch without applying your tow vehicle brakes. You need to ensure that the trailer brakes are operating independent of you stepping on your vehicle brake pedal. That way you can you use the IBC brake switch to stop your trailer if something happens to your truck brakes while towing. After you've found the gain setting that stops your trailer solid, back the gain off just a hair. Make sure that you check out the IBC function on a fairly level service going above 25 mph. You want to be able to adjust the IBC gain with some momentum of the trailer to ensure that if needed, you can stop the trailer with the IBC. Then get your trailer up to towing speed and apply your vehicle brakes and see how the trailer and truck brakes feel working together. You can adjust the gain control on the IBC as needed so that you sense that the trailer brakes are doing their share of stopping.
David Barrett
davidbarrett
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby davidbarrett » May 03 2011, 10:13pm

Here is a great video on you tube about setting up the trailer brakes
Last edited by EKinMN on May 04 2011, 2:13am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added youtube tags.
David Barrett
davidbarrett
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Towing/Trailers