jQuery not supported.

snow plow??

Re: snow plow??

Postby redroadkill [OP] » Mar 27 2017, 4:12pm

thank you everyone for your comments. i kinda thought i could. but i just wanted to be sure.
Original Poster
redroadkill
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 lt v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby getmore » Apr 20 2017, 12:30am

Timbrens are for trucks driving around with the plow on. Just plow your driveway and take the plow off, and you don't need to worry.
The bigger alternator is good if you move the plow up and down and side to side A LOT. Don't bother unless you find yourself having an issue with charging the battery. Another plus for the small plows: Lower load on the electrical system, so less need for upgrades.
"Back in the day" there were no high output alternators like there are today. What used to happen is when the radio stopped working or the blower slowed down too much you would stop for a bit to recharge the battery. Nowadays they have the snow plow package so you can run lots of strobes, the plow, and an electric sander without draining the battery. I had a 105A alternator in a 2001 2500HD, running a Sno-Way 29 series, and had no charging problems.

The one issue with a plow on your truck, and the reason it is not recommended is Federal Law. I forget the acronym, it is FMVSS, or something like that. The manufacturers have to certify their vehicles to be stable, even during emergency maneuvers, and if one end is too heavy it will fail. So, they determine what the maximum weight is for each axle, and how much imbalance it can take before it becomes "unsafe". A 2500 can take an 8' plow, but might need 800-1000lbs of ballast at the rear to keep the rear end down and take some weight off the front axle. The 1500 will likely exceed the front axle weight rating, but it is possible that the proper ballast may exceed either the rear axle rating or the GVWR instead or as well.
All this means is that it will not be as safe, especially at high speeds. At least not safe enough for the federal government.
That being said, there are many people that have used bigger plows than you plan on and had no issues to speak of. Stick to low speed operation and stay on your own driveway and you will be just fine.
Last edited by getmore on Apr 20 2017, 1:22am, edited 1 time in total.
getmore
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby getmore » Apr 20 2017, 1:21am

I don't know if I have a complete list of the differences Snow Plow Prep made on the 2001 2500HDs, but it included plastic shields for front axle and transfer case, 120A alt in place of 105, a lower temp fan clutch, an extra cooler for something (trans? steering?), a harness and switch for a roof light, a grommet to run the wires into the cab, and a harness to connect the plow light circuit into (that I don't think anyone uses). My truck had the towing package, so I think it already had the coolers, I installed the fan clutch (helps pull more air when working the engine harder at low speeds, before it starts to heat up), and I installed the 120A alternator, just because. The grommet and harnesses were not needed. I had also installed the TImbrens, but that was because I would drive to my parents house to plow and then to work, so I had the plow on more that I really should have.
getmore
Topics: 35
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bootstrap » Apr 20 2017, 1:52pm

In 2004, the 2500HD with a snow plow prep has skid plates, high output alternator, trailer wiring, a class 3 hitch, remote trans cooler, and the switch and harness for a roof light. I might be missing something.
There are literally millions of trucks with plows on them. The government doesn't give a damn if your truck has a plow prep package or not. At most, they would care if your vehicle is wider than 8.5'. That's about it.
There is always enough time to do it over again, but never enough time to do it right the first time.
bootstrap
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 33
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 4x4 WT
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby redroadkill [OP] » Apr 21 2017, 11:37am

just like to say thank you everyone for comments, suggestions. its still up in the air. but the knowledge is good to have.
Original Poster
redroadkill
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby arlow » May 30 2017, 11:46am

getmore wrote:Timbrens are for trucks driving around with the plow on. Just plow your driveway and take the plow off, and you don't need to worry.

I have Timbrens on my truck now. I do not leave the plow on and drive around. It comes off after every storm. However they do make a huge difference on my 1500, when picking the plow up the front end barely moves at all. Without them it squatted quite a bit. They are a short money item that makes a very noticable difference.
arlow
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 ltz 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby redroadkill [OP] » May 31 2017, 3:51pm

getmore wrote:I don't know if I have a complete list of the differences Snow Plow Prep made on the 2001 2500HDs, but it included plastic shields for front axle and transfer case, 120A alt in place of 105, a lower temp fan clutch, an extra cooler for something (trans? steering?), a harness and switch for a roof light, a grommet to run the wires into the cab, and a harness to connect the plow light circuit into (that I don't think anyone uses). My truck had the towing package, so I think it already had the coolers, I installed the fan clutch (helps pull more air when working the engine harder at low speeds, before it starts to heat up), and I installed the 120A alternator, just because. The grommet and harnesses were not needed. I had also installed the TImbrens, but that was because I would drive to my parents house to plow and then to work, so I had the plow on more that I really should have.

hi. my truck came with tow package swell. so it should already have the coolers. how do i find out if mine has a lower temp fan clutch?
Original Poster
redroadkill
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous