Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Tow rating Charts

10K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  CKNSLS 
#1 ·
hello, 1st time poster. Wow, what a great place & source of info. I've read a lot of the diff forums and they seem to bring up more questions. I'm wondering if someone has 1 particular chart to begin studying towing. I'm a Duramax owner now and pull a 6000 (dry) TT, WD hitch, etc. I have never even bothered to worry. It pulls great everywhere, any time. I'm looking for a 2014 Silverado gas'er. I'm tired of rising diesel prices and with the new higher MPG's gas'ers, the cost savings of a diesel doesn't seem to be there anymore. Secretly I'm also lusting for the new options in the Silverado since my `03 came out.
In looking over the Chevy tow rating info there is so much left out. I'm not even sure what tires are stnd on new `14's. I've reda different dealers have diff tires sometimes. Combine that with diff gear ratio's, bed length, Crew cab or Ext cab, eng size, the new Max Trailering pkg, etc...I could go on & one. I just can't find a chart with al the possibilities included. For example, I read that the Max Trail Pkg can come with diff gear ratio's , depending on what the dealer ordered. How can I figure in the "Max" tow rating, not even sure what gear ratio was used in computing that figure ? I'd love the new high tech, gas miser 5.3 V8, LTZ & the new 6 sp tranny-other than that I'm lost. Does anyone know if there is an "insiders" chart where I might begin ? Thnx for all the great info.
jsummers

P.S. & why doesn't the Max Trailering pkg" include the big "Camper" mirrors ? That's got to be a stnd requirement for regular tow'ers. Aren't they offered any longer ?

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't really see how that is any easier.

I disagree with saying that you need to "sift" through the GM website since I found what he needed in about 10 seconds.

Also e wants to know the ratings based on gear ratio which the GM site has and that towing guide does not.

#11 ·
thnx for that link Triton. Do you know if that chart's figures assume the truck is equipped w/ the Max Trailering Pkg? Or will that additional pkg increase those figures ?
Looking at that same Chevy site's chart, I have this question. If I subtract GVWR from GCWR, doesn't that give me the "true/real" towing or trailering weight ? if so, Chevy sure is way off somehow.
Using the 3.42 gear Silverado example from that same. GCWR = 15000. Subtract GVWR of 7200. That lv's only 7800 lbs for a trailer. That chart says "max trailering" weight is 9900 lbs. How'd they get that I wonder ? That over 2000 lbs of exaggeration isn't it ? Or am I completely messed up ? (very well could be). Thnx again guys.
jims

#12 ·
Somewhere in the Chevy site there is a chart showing Trailer towing, 5th wheel towing and they break it down for different engines, cabs, axle ratios
This is for my 2500HD

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-...apabilities.config=crew_cab_standard_box.html

StandardStandardAvailableAvailableN/AN/A

Trailering & Payload Vortec® 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 FlexFuel engine 2WD Duramax® 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine 2WD
Curb Weight 6153 lbs 6963 lbs
Max Payload 3347 lbs 3037 lbs
Max GVWR 9500 lbs 10000 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering, 3.73 Rear Axle 9700 lbs 13000 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering, 4.10 Rear Axle 13000 lbs N/A
Max 5th Wheel Trailering, 3.73 Rear Axle 9700 lbs 17400 lbs
Max 5th Wheel Trailering, 4.10 Rear Axle 14200 lbs N/A
GCWR, 3.73 Rear Axle 16000 lbs 24500 lbs
GCWR, 4.10 Rear Axle 20500 lbs N/A
Spring Axle Capacity Vortec® 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 FlexFuel engine 2WD Duramax® 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine 2WD
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating 4400 lbs 5200 lbs
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating 6200 lbs 6200 lbs

#14 ·
Yea you messed up a little. The GVWR is your Gross Vehicle Weight rating meaning your truck cannot weight more than that with cargo. You would only be able to tow 7800 is you loaded the truck itself to it's full capacity.

To double check your max trailer you would subtract the vehicle weight (curb weight) from the the GCWR. I did some math using their numbers and they are off a hundred pounds or so in each combination (maybe just taking driver weight into account so people stay well under the max weight) but your math was not necessarily off, you just used the wrong wrong numbers.

#15 ·
Welcome to the site Jims, great to have you. As you can see tons of information with the knowledgeable members and quick to respond..:)

#16 ·
To the OP-

Towing capacity is one thing-payload is another. And it's not rocket science. Consider the weight of your trailer's tongue weight.

Subtract that from your payload capacity located on the yellow and white sticker located inside the driver's door jam.

The sticker will say something as follows-The cargo capacity for this vehicle including cargo and passengers shall not exceed XXXX.

Because of a half-tons limitations, in reality you will not be able to tow anywhere near the maximums trucks tow rating before coming very close or going over your payload capacity.

If your in the market for a trailer-my advice (take it for what you paid for it) is not to exceed 6,000 pounds DRY. This will put you in what's called "Ultra Light" trailers.

#17 ·
Multi kudos - for all the info. Just to muddy up the water some more, here's a puzzler. Reading the Apr 2013 Trailer Life, I read a review they did on a 9000lb (wet/loaded weight) TT being pulled by a new F-150, V-6 turbochg'ed, 3.5 L. The F-150 had a "towing rating" of 9600 lbs. The F-150 itself weighs 6500 lbs I think. They did not publish the GVWR. But after reading the towing advise on this website, I was surprised. It looks like to me they were probably towing within about 96% of their GVWR. The article extolled the V-6, no problems accelerating or stopping, etc. etc. No tongue droop, no swaying. Don't know what hitch they used. (a WD hitch I hope) I was surprised to see Trailer Life promoting this "perfect" towing combination. Aren't they supposed to be a reliable site for info ? I always thought so anyway. I'm not pushing the Ford F150 here, just wondering about their "towing test". Maybe there is something I missed. Any thoughts on it ? I wondered if any of this site's "experts" had seen it also. Thnx again in advance.

#18 ·
If they didn't have any passengers or cargo I guess they were at 96%. Obviously, not a realistic scenario in real life. Most don't travel with an empty trailer nor a empty truck. It may have had a few dishes in it and bedding, but did they have two weeks worth of food in it?

Have you ever read a bad towing review in Trailer Life? Something to consider! (Whenever ad dollars are at stake reviews are suspect-at best). IMHO-that's way too much trailer for that truck.

BTW-I really don't consider myself an expert---just educated about towing and weights (Payload, GVWR, etc.) and a very experienced RV tower!

#20 ·
There is a Big difference between what the truck can tow and what you want to tow.
I have towed tons of trailers with lots of different Chevy trucks.

I had a 2011 1/2 ton Chevy with HD towing pkg and 383 rear, I could tow my 6000lb construction trailer across the country and not even know it was behind me. I have towed a 7600 lb travel travel for a couple of years. The truck pulled it fine except when going up the large Pennsylvania mountains, I had to keep it to the rug and It still lost mph by the time I hit the top. Im sure the truck could pull something heavier, but i want want to be the driver going up the mountains, plus it would be really harsh on the drive train. Maybe if it had 411's it would do a lot better.
I have since moved to the 2500HD line, these trucks are unstoppable, Huge difference between the two trucks

#21 ·
Whew, I'm sure getting "Chart" blindness. I finally got the 1500 & 2500 charts down & digested. Comparing the 2 has gotten me drunk I think. From the Chevy charts it appears that the 1500 will trailer more and pull more than the 2500. Why is that? The comparisons (off the Chevy) website are as follows:
2500 1500
GVWR 9500 7200
payload 3347 1947 (ok 2500 wins here)
Max trailering (3.73) 9700 11300
GCWR (3.73) 16000 16700

#22 ·
The Silverado 1500 will always max at at "payload capacity" before towing weight capacity. Therefore, you will NEVER be able to tow the full tow rating on the 1500. (At least legally). Most trailers of any size will eat up at least 50% of the payload capacity through tongue weight.

#24 ·
And I think some people are confused about payload capacity, or maybe I'm just reading the posts wrong?

Total trailer weight DOES NOT count 100% against your payload capacity. Only a percentage of trailer weight is expected to fall on your rear axle (around 17% IIRC). The rest if the weight is on the trailer axle.

If you're maxing payload capacity before you're reaching towing capacity, even in a half ton, either you're calculating wrong or you've got a few too many 490lb adults in the back seat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.