Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

More questions about towing a Travel Trailer

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Nvr2loud 
#1 ·
Recap: 1999 Silverado Ext Cab 4X4 with Z71 off-road/towing package, equalizer hitch, rear automatic air shocks w/on board compressor. Pulling a 25' Tahoe w/14' slide. Empty trailer weight 6150lbs.

This morning while searching for info I came across this chart:
http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/hitche ... -guide.htm

And also within the chart footnote 2: "Silverado 1500 models are limited to 5,000-lb. trailer rating with a 600-lb. Tongue rating "unless" equipped with Z85 Increased Capacity or ZX3 Manual Select Damping or Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package". So, I see within the chart that we will be well within the "Max Trailer Weight" with our combination of tow package, trailer, cargo etc. We also have a motorhome and when traveling with it, do what we can to "travel light" (for example I don't carry potable water in our tank, but fill it when we get where we are going, then dump whatever's left as well as the gray and black water when we are ready to head home. The RV guzzles plenty of gas w/out trying to bring the whole house and shop with us and I figure every little bit helps when it comes to weight).
As a member has explained, and I understand, the air shocks won't increase my payload capacity. However, I have noticed when I have them turned on I can hear the under-hood compressor kick on and off as it dampens each side to adjust for changes in the road conditions. I normally keep them turned off so I don't have to listen to the compressor (and also it rides too stiff for my liking while turned on), but I am mentioning them thinking they might help with my stability/handling while towing.
I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find my differential gear ratio, as I can see that it's a considerable factor in the whole weight/tow vehicle equation?
Also, is there a difference between a "weight distributing hitch" and an "equalizer hitch" and if so, which one is the better choice? (or can you use both simultaneously?) Additionally, when I am adjusting my brake controller, do I want them to engage equally, or is it better to have one or the other doing a little more of the work?
Also regarding a transmission cooler: Can you tell me where I can find out if the Z71 off-road and towing package includes an auxiliary tranny cooler?
We won't be doing extended traveling with this combo. Other than a once yearly family get-together that is a couple hundred miles give or take. Otherwise, it will just be local camping (fifty miles or less) I wouldn't want that much wear and tear on my truck.
I realize that I'm asking a lot of questions in this post, but I'm sure I am still missing stuff so anything you guys can add will be greatly appreciated.
Special thanks to "CKNSLS" for his time and advice.
Kind Regards,
Russ https://www.facebook.com/hecame4u2

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll answer your gear ratio question...I'll leave the rest up to the guys here in this forum for the rest :) ... Look in your glove box at the sticker in there...one of these codes should be there, it will correlate to your gear ratio..

GU4 : 3:08 RATIO
GU5 : 3:23 RATIO
GU6 : 3:42 RATIO
GT4 : 3:73 RATIO
GT5 : 4:10 RATIO

#3 ·
I will try to answer what I can

Your air bags will not increase your load capacity but they will try to keep your truck level or at what it considers ride height. So yes I would have them on but they might make it harder to set up you W/D hitch. I have never had to set up with airbags.

An equalizer hitch is a weight distribution hitch it is just a brand name of one. There are many different brands of weight distribution hitches. I would maybe check out etrailer they have a lot of good videos and explanations on them.

The auxiliary trans cooler will look like a smaller radiator, about 1/4 the size of your regular one, and will be in front of your radiator. If you look under your hood on the passenger side at the back of your radiator you should see 2 steel lines that change to rubber and one will connect to the radiator and the other will go around front of the radiator. then you should have a rubber line coming from the front the goes into the radiator. So one coming from the trans is the pressure, one is the return and the other shorter one connects the radiator to the aux cooler. This is hard to explain but much easier to show someone, sorry.

To set up your brake controller I would use the instructions that come with the controller. I have never used a timed controller but for a proportional controller they are
accelerate to 30 mph, somewhere around that, then manually engage the controller by sliding the lever. You want them to at just before lock up. So continue to adjust the power up until they lock up then turn it down a little and you should be set. This is what I do and seems to work well.

#5 ·
CKNSLS said:
I think I read you setup the WD hitch w/o any air in the bags-but I'm not 100% sure since I haven't done it either.
Different brands have different requirements, but generally you are correct. If the airbags are automatic then leave them off to setup the WDH. I have manual AirLifts and I fully inflate them prior to loading. After loading and hooking up the trailer, I then adjust the chains on my WDH to adjust weight fore / aft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.