Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Trailer brake controller always on?

13K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  SHNOOL 
#1 ·
I recently purchased the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 and hard wired it into my truck. Works great. My only problem is its always on unless I unplug it out of the back of the controller. Where at under that dash can I pull ignition power from to run to a relay so the controller turns on and off with the vehicle? :roll: :roll:

#5 ·
Mine retains power from the connection under the dash, but only activates when you engage the brakes. Isn't that a safety feature should the truck role when its off you can stop the entire package without the engine being on?

It doesn't drain the battery as far as I can tell. Neen on thete for years since the PO.

#6 ·
The trailer brakes have nothing to do with the left IP fuse block!!! It's all prewired and ready to hook up, there are 4 wires (black, white, red and blue) underneath the dash in the area above the drivers left foot taped to the wiring harness. On the fuse block under the hood you have to find the red wire with a ring terminal taped to the wiring harness beside the box, hook it up to the stud and put a fuse in in case the is none (there are two fuses for stud 1 and 2).

#7 ·
On both my Prodigy and uh... crap I forgot the name of the other brake controller... anyway, they both stay "on" all the time, like in standby mode, until you actually hook up a trailer with electric brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.