Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Trailer Brake Controller

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  77Racing 
#1 ·
Looking for options for a decent Trailer Brake Controller. I have been trying to read and understand what people are using but the reality is, I know nothing about them. All I know is I was told it would be a good idea to have one. Just picked up an 03 Silverado 1500 for my first truck and will be towing about 6000lbs with it on occasion to the racetrack about 15 miles from my shop.

I appreciate any help or suggestions to point me in the right direction. In the mean time I will keep searching lol

Thanks!

#4 ·
When I select my year, make and model on that site, it gives me an option for with "with factory 7-way" or "without factory trailer connector"... Is that referring to the plug for trailer lights/accessories? I feel like an idiot haha! Never owned a truck before and jumping in head first all at once here.

#5 ·
I agree, Tekonsha is about the best. For ease of plug and play, and if you don't want a controller hanging under the dash this one is easy to mount:
Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controlle ... 90250.html

You mount the unit to the trailer tongue, plug the trailer wiring harness into the unit, plug the unit into the back of the truck. Inside you plug the remote controller (which is hand size) into a power outlet and there you have it. I mount mine in one of the cup holders in a cup holder adjustable mount. I have traveled thousands of miles with this.
Nice thing is if you decide to use another vehicle to tow the trailer you just take the wireless remote to the other vehicle. I have two vehicles I use for towing and it solved the problem of having a controller in each vehicle.

(I got mine at Amazon, same price, but being a Prime member, I received free two-day shipping.)

#6 ·
77Racing said:
When I select my year, make and model on that site, it gives me an option for with "with factory 7-way" or "without factory trailer connector"... Is that referring to the plug for trailer lights/accessories? I feel like an idiot haha! Never owned a truck before and jumping in head first all at once here.
Not sure what the difference is with the controller. But you do need a trailer plug at the rear. I'm guessing that if your year vehicle came with a 7-way plug, you have the four wires under the dash for the connection to the controller (1-hot, 1-ground-1-from the brake input, 1-to the rear connector for trailer brakes). If you don't have the 7-way in the rear, then you might have to pull and splice in some wires for the controller. That's my guess as to why....

#7 ·
77Racing said:
Thanks, man. I had JUST stumbled upon that site when I got the notification you replied. I will check into it. I am just looking for something basic and easy to install. Something with a plug and play harness is preferred if possible.

Thanks!
As far as I know you'll have to buy the wiring harness separate, but other than that it will be pretty much plug and play after you install it. Get the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 they are the top of the line and aren't that much higher than everythign else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.