Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Trailer brake controller

25K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  TheMightyWhitey 
#1 ·
My son just got a 2006 z71. It has the six pin wire hookup for a trailer. ( I guess all Z71's have the tow package?) I'm going to take the brake controller from my truck, and put it in his. How is this done? Are there simple wires under the dash for hookup like I hope? I had to wire my 89 Silverado from scratch. I'm not looking forward to that again.

#2 ·

Attachments

#3 ·
The controller wiring harness should plug in behind a panel under the parking brake cable. Remove the wing nut, remove the panel and plug it in.

#4 ·
Ok, not to hijack this thread, but I have a related question, which is why I'm not starting my own topic. My '09 Silverado LT didn't have a hitch or any trailer "package". I just put a hitch on and replaced the dummy block in the bumper for the 7-pin wiring plug. I got a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller and the instructions leave a bit to be desired. I found, what I believe to be, the wires under the dash for the controller, but the colors of my wires don't match their instructions. There's a label on the vehicle's wires that says what each wire is (5 in total) but there's only 4 wires for the controller.

I've searched practically everywhere for help on this, but I'm left scratching my head. Can a brother get some help?

#7 ·
I'm a noob here too, and this is one of the questions I've been searching... I'll be watching this post for anybody with information on where to plug the pig-tail that came in the jockey box with my 2004 Z71 Silverado...

Cricket, cricket...

...............\|||/..........................
...............(@@).........................
_____ooO_( )_Ooo___________________________
_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|
___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|
_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|____|_____|____|

#8 ·
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-cbc.aspx

Found it above. The truck that I purchased 2004 Z71 5.3L Silverado had a harness in the jockey box, and I followed the directions and plugged it in. After splicing it into my Prodigy P3 and installing the bracket, it took about 20 minutes total time. Plug-n-play. Don't forget to plug a 40amp fuse into the "Stud #1" spot in your fuse box. This will send 12v power back to the positive pin in your factory installed socket at the rear. This will a) charge battery on the trailer or b) provide lighting to the trailer (like a snowmachine trailer) if you have it set up to take your truck power for the interrior lights.

I hope this helps. I can't want to do some more work on this rig, and I"m relieved that when I purchased the truck, it's never had a break controller installed in the truck. It makes me believe that it's never really towed a large trailer. It came out os SoCal (LA area) so I know it's had most of it's miles on the freeway.

Kilroy

#9 ·
archangel46,

Splice the GM wires to the Prodigy P3 in the following order:

1) Black on the break controller splices to the Red on the Truck wiring (Ignition 12v if you want to test)
2) Red on the break controller splices to the Light Blue (smaller wire) on the Truck Wiring (stop light switch if you want to test)
3) White on the break controller splices to the Black on the truck wiring (yes, they are both ground if you want to test ohms)
4) Fat Blue wire on the break controller splices to the Dark Blue truck wiring (this is the trailer power)
5) The thin brown wire on the truck gets doubled over and taped, it's not used for this particular controller. It's powered with the headlight switch...
6) Lastly, don't forget to install a 40amp fuse into "Stud 1" in the fuse box. As you're facing the fender/motor, it's the upper left most fuse hole. It most likely has a red blank installed into it from the factory, unless somebody has removed it. It's for 12v constant power to the trailer when towing, to charge the battery and such.

I just did this tonight with no problems...

Let me know if it works out well.

Kilroy

#11 ·
This thread has been very helpful when hooking up my brake controller on my 2009. Still do not know what the 5th wire is for.

#12 ·
archangel46 said:
Ok, not to hijack this thread, but I have a related question, which is why I'm not starting my own topic. My '09 Silverado LT didn't have a hitch or any trailer "package". I just put a hitch on and replaced the dummy block in the bumper for the 7-pin wiring plug. I got a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller and the instructions leave a bit to be desired. I found, what I believe to be, the wires under the dash for the controller, but the colors of my wires don't match their instructions. There's a label on the vehicle's wires that says what each wire is (5 in total) but there's only 4 wires for the controller.

I've searched practically everywhere for help on this, but I'm left scratching my head. Can a brother get some help?
Good timing, I just did this today.

FIRST.. ignore the orange wire. It's for the center/eye level stop signal and it's nothing you need.
SECOND.. WHITE IS GROUND
THIRD.. BLACK GOES TO RED/BLACK
4.. BLUE GOES TO DARK BLUE
5TH.. RED GOES TO LIGHT BLUE/WHITE

#13 ·
I have an 2002 Silverado 1500 and the brake controller and the Delphi cable where not a problem up front but . Unable to locate factory socket in rear and have no idea what it looks like or loctation have two junction boxes near the bumper and they have 1" round twist locks connections and have no idea where the 7 way socket is cable . One box has 4 plug ins rectangular and two are in use they are 8 pin . So where do I hook up my 7 way RV plug in the rear and what do I use ?

#16 ·
using a Tekonsha P3 brake Controller with Delphi cable to fire wall junction box and want to use Vehicle OEM wiring . But can't find any plug in connection in the rear for a 7 way blade connector with Hopkins plug in for Rv connection ??? will have to go and use a Tekonsha pig tail 20127 . and then remove the Delphi cable . ?? need location of socket connection for rear of 02 Silverado for 7 way blade plug in ???

#21 ·
Nothing is date specific. You can certainly make use of the old info when you find it, but when you reply to a thread that old, generally speaking the guys who posted in the thread have long ago resolved their issues. Sometimes it's better to just start fresh with your problem or question.

#22 ·
roorancher said:
Nothing is date specific. You can certainly make use of the old info when you find it, but when you reply to a thread that old, generally speaking the guys who posted in the thread have long ago resolved their issues. Sometimes it's better to just start fresh with your problem or question.
I've have most of them over the years. All will work well if properly adjusted and trailer brakes maintained. Emphasis on the second sentence. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.