Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

unsure about towing a travel trailer

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jbrooks28 
#1 ·
HI Guys,
Can someone help me, I'm looking at purchasing my first tavel trailer it's a 31ft. Pilgrim 265RL that has a dry weight of 7240LB. I am not sure if my truck can pull something this large, I have a 2011 Silverado Z-71 with 3.42 gears and a 5.3L. It has a towing package on it with the trans cooler and brake controller etc.. I'm just not sure if it can pull something that large. I appreciate any help on this.

#5 ·
Good to know...just makes me nervous spending so much money then not be able to pull it or make it up the hill to my drive way since it's a steep incline

#6 ·
You'll be fine as long as you don't have to go up any hills or pass anyone.

Yes, you max capacity is 9,600, but you generally do not want to exceed 75% of your max wieght for an extended period.

I feel your pain... My wife and I fell in love with a 32' TT a few months back, but after a ton of research I realized it was just to much for my 5.3 and not worth the wear and tear on my baby.

#8 ·
Dave,
I think I am going to follow in your footsteps if I'm not feeling good about it now I'm sure I wont then either. I am going to pass on purchasing this travel trailer. Thank you for your help. I just don't think it's worth the risk, wear and tear and peace of mind.

#12 ·
I pull ours about once or twice a year 30ft tt 7800ls dry weight. With completely loaded I know I'm pushing my max tow. I added CAI/tuns/helper springs to make it as easy on the truck as possible. It also going through the foothills of Appalachian mnts. I wouldn't do this pull on a regular basis it's all the truck can handle and pushing the limits of motor as well. I would look for something lighter or upgrade trucks...

#13 ·
Thanks for the info Brian, I am going to keep looking it just not seem worth the risk and strain on the truck if it doesn't need it

#15 ·
I was going to tell the OP that it was too much trailer for his truck, I am glad he came to the decision on his own.

If you wish to purchased a TT look at Ultra Lights. There are plenty of under 30 foot trailers that don't exceed 5,200 pounds DRY. The thing is that there are no standards that the manufacturers follow-so you walk onto the dealers lots and say show me your Ultra lights and you could be looking at trailers that weigh up to 10,000 pounds. It's buyer's beware.

In addition-remember that slides weigh 300 pounds on average. Three slides=1,000 pounds. Your GVWR is VERY IMPORTANT with 1/2 tons. You will run out of GVWR before you run out of "what can I pull".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.