jQuery not supported.

What is the towing weight capacity?

4.8 liter 2010 silverado

Re: towing

Postby farside1 » Oct 21 2010, 1:26am

my 5.3l with the tow package NOT heavy duty tow package is rated at 9500 pounds. make sure you look it up in your owners manual before towing something just to be sure.
farside1
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 37
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: towing

Postby farside1 » Oct 21 2010, 2:48am

can't edit above post. Don't know where the button went....Anyway, I DO have the HD Cooling on the truck which allows for the increased tow capacity.
farside1
Topics: 37
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: What is the towing weight capacity?

Postby Raytech » Nov 05 2011, 6:33pm

You can get a brochure at the dealer. It lists all towing capacities fro various models. I own an '09 Silverado with 4.8, 4x4, crew cab and short box. It's max cap towing is 5400 lbs. Same truck with reg cab, 2wd, long box is 6000. As far as break in period, i used to worry about that too. But after asking many other GM techs, most new trucks get hauling right out of the dealership. My brother in law worked at a GM truck plant (before it was moved to Mexico) and he said towing right off the bat was no problem. He worked at the end of the line when trucks came off finished. A tester drove them hard right off the line. He asked if just the odd one was pushed hard like this...they said ALL trucks are worked hard to weed out any defective ones before they were sold.
Also, this is a real truck here doing work, not like some little Dodge Caravan dragging it's rear from a huge trailer....This GM truck is made to work! Besides, 100,000 mile warrantee is industry best...so give er!
I have overloaded my 4.8 for 3 years. Haul a 5000 travel trailer with 5 people, 5 bikes, a canoe and lots of beer!. Ran through mountains in Virginia, Pensylvania and NY state.
If you shut off A/C on hills, dont run cruise (downshifts too much) and stay the speed limit...I have no issues. Very satisfied. I dont even use a load leveler as my suspension holds and the truck is pretty level. My buddie's new F150 drops to it's knees with the same load and requires a load leveler. Happy camping!
"Ford the company: not broke...Ford the vehicule: Always broke!"
Raytech
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bikepsych » Sep 24 2012, 1:43am

It appears to me that the rear end ratio has as much, if not more, to do with the towing capacity than the engine size. Whether you have a 3.08 or a 3.42 rear can make almost a 3000 lb difference in your towing capacity.
bikepsych
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 5.3l vvt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Richard Martin » Mar 22 2013, 10:23pm

The maximum allowable trailer weight for ANY 1500 with a 4.8 engine is 7200 pounds. That's if you have a short bed, regular cab and 3.73 gears. The Gross Combined Weight Rating may be up near 10-11 thousand pounds but that is the truck, trailer and any extra gear and peeps.

Read your manual.
Richard Martin
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Mar 22 2013, 11:10pm

Nyron is right.

The 5.3 with the towing pkg. Crew Cab is rated about 9,600 pounds.
CKNSLS
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Richard Martin » Mar 23 2013, 12:35am

But the OP has a Four Point Eight.
Richard Martin
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby enginebuilder4life » Apr 05 2013, 10:59pm

Ratings are only guidelines, and for those new to towing. The GCWR for the chassis is the most realistic, because most people trade trucks instead of replacing a 1500 frame with an upgraded 2500 frame. Putting 2500 running gear on a 1500 frame still results in 1500 strength regardless of better brakes and better gearing.
I'm experienced, and I'm happily living in farm country now, where ratings are utterly useless. You load until the tires bulge.
I've towed 13,500# with my modified 1500, and I keep getting away with it ( trans is only rated to 12,000 # of truck and trailer, where my loaded trailer alone was past that, not including my truck ) . I've twice towed 12K on public roads, never dropping below 35 MPH even on grades, and never having to drop into first gear. So in that light, if your brakes and everything is adequate, your actual towing capability is foremost about your abilities, and secondly about how much speed you're okay with losing when climbing grades.
Remember, those ratings are, and long have been, a compromise between warranty claims versus competing with Ford and Dodge, more than engineering considerations.
As for brakes, the modern 1/2-tons now have more braking power than the 1-tons of the '80s, which were rated to tow about twice as much, but to be fair the speed limits were lower.
enginebuilder4life
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Year: 2006
Extra Info: modified WT1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Enforcer » Apr 15 2014, 6:16am

Nothing wrong with "guidelines", helps to steer a decision towards buying one truck over another. I wouldn't ignore them completely.
Enforcer
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 4.8 4x4 Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Apr 15 2014, 6:43am

If anybody runs in to me towing over their ratings I will own their farm-house whatever. That is irresponsibility at its best. BTW-you cant modify a truck past its manufacturers payload numbers-legally.
CKNSLS
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 19
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Towing/Trailers