jQuery not supported.

1-2 shift problem

The latest TSB on the 03-07 (classic) on the 1-2 harsh shift

1-2 shift problem

Postby SilverSurfer [OP] » Jul 12 2013, 10:21pm

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-07-30-017B

Date: April 29, 2011

Subject: 1-2 Shift Flare with an End Bump or Harsh 1-2 Shift at Light Throttle (Install New 1-2 Accumulator Valve Kit)
Models:
2003-2007 Cadillac Escalade
2003-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
All Equipped with 4.8L or 5.3L Engine (RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LM4, LH6, L33)
and 4L60E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)
Please Refer to GWM/IVH
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add a condition to the Subject and Condition Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-07-30-017A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment about a 1-2 shift flare with an end bump or a harsh 1-2 shift at light throttle.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the 2-4 band apply time extending through the 1-2 accumulator stroke.

Correction

1. Verify the customer's concern.
2. Remove the valve body. Refer to Valve Body and Pressure Switch Removal in SI.

3. Remove the coiled spring pin (360).
4. Remove the 1-2 accumulator valve sleeve (372).
5. Remove the 1-2 accumulator valve (371) and the 1-2 accumulator valve spring (370).
6. Install the new 1-2 accumulator valve kit, GM P/N 24255821.
7. Install the valve body. Refer to Valve Body and Pressure Switch Installation in SI.

Parts Information

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So that's what's been going on with my truck and I've seen all kinds of other bulletins. My weekend plans got blown out of the water, so I decided to pick up the kit for my truck.

At first, the parts guy couldn't find it, but eventually did. There's 1 in Phoenix (there are probably 50 GM dealers in this town) and it was on the opposite end of the valley. I wasn't in the mood to backtrack 30 miles since I was running errands. I figured I'd go home and order it on-line.

Then I saw this post Review on the Vette servo swap. I put in a reply to get more info. Still waiting.

I was wondering who has done what upgrades/repairs to the 4L60e and what level of success have you had?

Please include where you got it, brand, part numbers, cost and approximate labor times.

I'm hoping to keep my tow-mode since the only way to get out of the valley is up and I want to get a camper/travel trailer.
1 1/2" Rear Drop........................................................3.73 Posi
Spectre CAI..................................................'Vette Servo Piston
Original Poster
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 29
Blogs: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen
Related Topics  1999 Silverado shift problem   hard accel and shift to 2nd 1-2 shift   1-2 shift   '03 Silverado will not shift   paddle shift   Hard 1-2 shift   shift kits   Shift points   Hard 1-2 shift   Shift issue   6l90 shift kit   won't shift into gear   Intermitant hard shift from 1 to 2   Help with 6L80 2-3 shift issue 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 1-2 shift problem

Postby Blaine06 » Jul 15 2013, 7:49pm

Has anybody heard wether this fixes the problem for sure?

And do y'all think this is something you would do yourself or just take in?
Blaine06
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Blogs: 0
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer [OP] » Jul 16 2013, 7:15am

The guy who made the post in the link in my original message said he loves the way it shifts. Follow the thread, he gives a great blow-by-blow on the repair. He ought to put it in the How To's.
1 1/2" Rear Drop........................................................3.73 Posi
Spectre CAI..................................................'Vette Servo Piston
Original Poster
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby SilverSurfer [OP] » Aug 03 2013, 7:30am

So I pulled the trigger on the TSB and the Corvette Servo Piston upgrade. I did them both at the same time and the total cost, including shipping and 5 qts. of DexVI, was under $100.

The results were outstanding!

As I stated somewhere before I am NOT a tranny guy, I don't even like A/T's. But, this is now the best A/T I've ever had in a vehicle. It shifts firm 1-2 and 2-3 (3-4 no change, but it was fine before) and doesn't hang in 1st at light throttle. It feels like a truck should. It doesn't bark 2nd gear but that may be because I have a stock 5.3 w/o a tune.

I wanted to do pix and vids of the process, but I started having minor issues (again, not a tranny guy) and decided to concentrate on what I was doing instead of destroying my tranny for the sake of the arts. I did a lot of research on these mods and I know where to get useful diagrams as well as describing the processes in detail if anyone's interested.

If you've never seen a valve body before I wouldn't recommend this as your first project. You can cost yourself a sh*tpot full of money if you're not careful.

I don't know exactly how long this took because my boss wanted me to work on some fleet cars today, too. (I know, really?!?) I did get some useful pix, so like I said... let me know if you want a how-to.

Best $100 I've ever spent!
Original Poster
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Cooperbowm » Aug 11 2013, 6:29pm

@silversurfer

The very thought of digging into my transmission scares the living s*** out of me! so kudos to you o that one!
But if still possible i would to see the pictures you took and some of the step by step procedures. My truck does the very exact same thing and it bugs me. Seeing as there is a fix for this cheap take my concern away!

thanks
Cooperbowm
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: REG cab 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer [OP] » Aug 11 2013, 7:18pm

I scared the sh-t outta me, too, when I realized I had to drop the valve body. But once I was in there I said what the hell, just be careful. I didn't take any pics after that 'cause I wanted to pay attention to what I was doing, plus ATF all over my hands makes it hard to handle my phone.

That one drawing in the TSB pretty well shows it, you're looking at the front of the valve body. The pin in front holds everything in and goes in thru the top. I used needle-nose pliers thru the front of the valve body to push the pin up.

The new valve sleeve is much tighter than the original, I guess that's the point. I had trouble getting it in at first and started getting really worried, but it finally slid in.

I'd get ahold of a dealer or a tranny shop, show them the TSB and ask them how much to do it for you. 1.4 h labor should be no more than $150, the conversion kit $20 and ATF ~ $35 + tax shouldn't total more than about $225.

If you still have some extra cash you might ask them about putting in a 'Vette Servo Piston.

The benefit of having them do it, if something goes wrong they get to put a brand new tranny in for you.
Original Poster
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Cooperbowm » Aug 11 2013, 7:24pm

I have a realiable honest mechanic, but all he asks is i buy all the parts for him to install. Since you did the job yourself where did you buy the ki and this so called "vette servo piston"?

Thx
Cooperbowm
Topics: 5
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: REG cab 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer [OP] » Aug 11 2013, 8:07pm

The conversion kit I got from Chevy, the part # is in the TSB. The servo piston I got here: http://www.oregonperformancetransmissio ... TP-K51828C
Original Poster
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby chevy_always » Aug 12 2013, 12:34am

very good post sliversurfer. im excited to know there can be a solution to my transmission concern. ive still to find a tranny shop I can trust. but im gonna look this next week soon as I can make time. I would love to feel a smoother shifting truck and not feel like maybe I should trade it in, I love my truck too much.
chevy_always
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 2
Year: 2005
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 5.3 v8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer [OP] » Aug 12 2013, 3:40am

You could try the dealer, just make sure they don't overcharge or oversell you. I wouldn't use a mom & pop shop, nothing wrong with them just not a lot of mechanics are comfortable opening up trannies. They'd rather eat a handful of worms, less creepy. In ten years this is the most I've ever done with an a/t.

If they want more than $250 then they're trying to sell you too much. Unless you're over 75k miles and never done a trans service you don't need a flush or a filter.
Original Poster
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member