jQuery not supported.

1/2 Ton Front Diff Rebuild

Lesson learned and questions answered about front diff

1/2 Ton Front Diff Rebuild

Postby Portmanblaze91 [OP] » Mar 09 2011, 4:34pm

I have recently rebuilt the front diff in my 99-2000 silverado 1/2 ton with the 3.42 8.25 diff

Reasons for rebuild:
1. Excessive leaking from both axel seals and pion seal.
2. Horrible wurring noise when in 4x4 at 45-50mph
3. Ruff bearing noises when the truck sat for a long time.

Got the master rebuild kit from the below link. Included all seals, Timken bearings, and sealant. There is no gasket on this case contrary to parts stores listing.

I dropped the front end following procedures listed the Chiltons manual. If I get enough requests, I'll post a how too. I didn't drop the tie bar, I just disconected the battery and unlocked the steering wheel so I could move the tie bar during removal. I didn't take the ties off either. You can hang the half shafs out of the way.

Problems found once the case was split:
1. Fuild was metalic grey when drained indicating excessive wear and water
2. Case was so full that the vent spewed fuild.
3. Thrust washer was trashed
4. Carrier bearing and race on pass side was damaged due to metal from the thrust washer
5. All other bearings and races showed excessive wear and pitting.
6. Axel tub that housed the thrust washer was damaged beyound use. Replaced with used part from local tranny shop for $20. Dealer wants $150.

Tips during rebuild:
1. Setting the lash is a little tough because you can't get to the gears when adjusting it. I set it by feel.
2. Very important that the axels lock back into place or they'll "walk" out when turning. (happened to a buddy after we rebuilt his)
3. Coat the seals with grease to prevent leakage during first use. They will leak initially if not prelubed.
4. Don't have the kids around when your on your back with the diff on your chest, "wiggeling" it into place. They will learn a new vocabulary! :D
5. Pick up a new thrust washer and locking tabs from a dealership before you start. Change them out no matter what. I had to make a tab out of aluminum. That sucked up and hour.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ring_and_pinions/gm_8.25_ifs_front_differential_parts.html

This link will give you a parts break down for the 1/2 ton Chevy 8.25 front diff. This is the web site I got the rebuild kit from for about $135.

The thrust washer that was trashed on mine was #7 on the diagram. It is in the axle tub that goes to the pass tire.

If anyone thinks I did soemthing incorrect or are giving bad info, I'm all ears.

I'll post some pics when I figure out how to.

If I could of worked strait through and didn't need any other parts, it would of been about an 6-8 hr job.
"Support Search and Rescue - GET LOST!"

Jon
Original Poster
Portmanblaze91
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: 1/2 Ton Front Diff Rebuild

Postby lzn197 » Mar 09 2011, 9:10pm

Thanks. Great info. I have a small leak on my passenger side that I am keeping an eye on. Extension seal is leaking.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Portmanblaze91 [OP] » Mar 10 2011, 4:07am

End of the axel tube or where the axle tub joins the carrier housing?

Jon
Original Poster
Portmanblaze91
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Portmanblaze91 [OP] » Mar 10 2011, 4:43am

I promised I would add pics. So here they are. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jon
Original Poster
Portmanblaze91
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lzn197 » Mar 10 2011, 12:49pm

Portmanblaze91 wrote:End of the axel tube or where the axle tub joins the carrier housing?

Mine is leaking at the end of the axle tube on the passenger (right ) side where it connects to the right side half shaft. I added 1 pint of oil to it at 70,000 miles. It only holds 3. No strange noises.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby toddnjoy » Jul 24 2011, 9:13am

i would love a play by play for a rebuild as my 1999 new style silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab front diff has had enough and needs attention.
toddnjoy
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 ext cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Portmanblaze91 [OP] » Jul 27 2011, 4:18am

I responded your PM and asked a few questions before I get too in depth. Unfortunantly I didn't take any pictures b/c I was under a time crunch when I did the work.

Jon
Original Poster
Portmanblaze91
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain