jQuery not supported.

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 front differential

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 front differential

Postby 03Silvy4x4 [OP] » Jun 23 2013, 1:38am

I just purchased a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 119,500mi. Because i do not know what fluids have beeen changed and what has not i would like to put amsoil in my differentials and later my transmission. Im simply looking for a few good DIY/how to videos or write ups. More so for the front differential, the rear is easy enough a caveman could do it.

Thanks
Original Poster
03Silvy4x4
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 Vortec 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 front differential

Postby ASTE25 » Jun 23 2013, 1:46am

I think there are some on the site here. You can use the search feature to find out for sure. If not, I'm sure youtube has some. It's about the same as the rear, except the front has a drain and a fill plug.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Jun 24 2013, 1:44pm

The front is easier than the rear. Just remove skid plate. Pull fill plug to remove vacuum effect. Pull drain plug. Reverse and fill with (my preference) full synthetic 75w90. Should be around 3 pints to fill. I recommend the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90. Have used it in a lot of vehicles. Great product. As a side note, for the rear I recommend the Lube Locker gasket in place of stock stuff. Fantastic product that more durable and reusable, steel core. No sealer, RTV or anything. Goes on dry.

Regarding lube oil, if one is really putting their ride to the test on a regular basis, Amsoil also has a 75w110 that is recommended for diffs that normally take 75w90. Not as heavy as something like 75w140, but will provide a little more strength if one needs it. A very good middle ground viscosity and a great product.
The Prayer of the Patriot...
"God, grant me the strength to die standing so my children will not live kneeling"
Copperhead
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 23
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 Crewcab 4x4.
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby martinfan30 » Jun 24 2013, 9:02pm

Be sure to use an RTV specifically designed for gear oils on the rear diff. Like Permatex's "Gear Oil" RTV. It's silicone will not breakdown in the presence of friction modifiers.
martinfan30
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Jun 24 2013, 10:43pm

That is the primary reason I would put a crowbar in my wallet and get the Lube Locker gasket for less than $22. No RTV, no mess, nothing to goof up. Goes on dry. And unless you are a real screwup, you can reuse them! I have reused Lube Locker gaskets up to 3 times in Jeep applications. Gold Standard in drivetrain gaskets.

http://lubelocker.com/collections/axles/gm
"God, grant me the strength to die standing so my children will not live kneeling"
Copperhead
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 03Silvy4x4 [OP] » Jul 03 2013, 4:43am

I like the lucas oil but ive heard chatter that it is over rated just like royal purple. Any input on the lucas? otherwise i will probably just go with amsoil.
Original Poster
03Silvy4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Jul 03 2013, 4:55am

The Lucas thing is interesting on several levels. At the BITOG website, they have a running distain for Lucas. I recall seeing where they did a test on it and it did not come in looking good at the end of it. In the trucking community, it has a real solid group of adherents, with nothing more than anecdotal evidence at best that it does anything. I have always wondered, and asked, what is unstable about modern oils and lubes that they need to be stabilized by Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Now, all the being said, I do know that there has been virgin oil samples of the stuff out of the jug being sent into the labs for analysis. All that has been shown is that it is nothing more than a straight 50w base oil. No additives, no nothing, just base oil. If that it actually the case, then it isn't anything more than modern day STP oil treatment, that was nothing more than a viscosity thickener.

I have never used the stuff. I really have no dog in the hunt. Nothing about Lucas has caused me to consider it. Even though I own semi trucks, ag tractors, etc. I have always gotten good results from quality oils all by themselves. I have no issues with anyone who wants to use it. It is their money and their wants. But Forrest Lucas will not be able to pay royalties on the stadium in Indianapolis on my dime.

As for Royal Purple. No clue one way or the other if it is worth it or not. Never bought any and know no one who has personally used it. I have heard some comment RP had good products and I have heard RP is nothing to jump up and down and throw babies in the air over.
Copperhead
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 03Silvy4x4 [OP] » Jul 03 2013, 5:30am

Wow, i didnt realize that about lucas oil... What is this website that you can aquire info like this? Have you heard anything about their gear lubrication?
Original Poster
03Silvy4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Jul 03 2013, 5:40am

The BITOG website. Bob Is The Oil Guy. Don't let the name fool you. There are several folks there that are petroleum industry professionals. It is considered the "go to" place to learn more than you ever wanted to know about lubes and oils.

All I know about Lucas oils and lubes, is that there is nothing you will get that you cannot get in any other name brand oil or lube. The only product that Lucas puts out there that has a good track record of above average performance is their injector cleaner. Everything else has not shown any appreciable advantage over anything else. Just a very loyal following that just "knows" it is great products.
Copperhead
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 03Silvy4x4 [OP] » Jul 03 2013, 5:54am

I like that site, it has some really good info. I used valvoline in my previon v6 dakota i might use that in my chevy.
Original Poster
03Silvy4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain