Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2003 Sierra z71 transfer case noise?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bran826 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here so bear with me. I drive a 2003 Sierra z71 and have been hearing this scrubbing noise that's been driving me crazy for quite some time now. Noise seems to be linear with tire rotation usually heard from speeds of 0-25 (not the hubs or cv joints). I jacked up the rear of the truck to try to pinpoint the issue and the sound I'm hearing is coming from the transfer case/driveshaft. I took the driveshaft out and the noise has gone away for the most part. I can wiggle the front differential yoke a little bit maybe 1/32 of an inch? So I guess my questions are
- Should the front differential yoke have any play?
- Are these transfer case carrier bearings a constant issue?
- Is there any way of lubricating the slip yoke without contaminating the transfer case fluid?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Sorry I should have specified. I took the FRONT driveshaft out and the noise went away, leading me to suspect the front carrier bearing in the T-case. Back to the front differential yoke - I don't feel like it should have any play in it (side to side, up & down ect..) but maybe I'm wrong? Anyone had any of these symptoms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.