Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2004 chevy 4x4 problem

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Clemson_ME 
#1 ·
when I put my truck in 4x4 it jumps back out after a few seconds there is no noise or anything it just simply goes back in 2wd does anybody know what my problem could be or what I should check??

#2 ·
It either 1. Computer doesn't see the encoder motor return voltage change (motor itself, position sensor, or related wiring) 2. Or doesn't see front diff actuator lock (front diff actuator assembly which has switch built into it, related wiring)
If you dont have the required testing equipment I would have someone get in truck while you crawl underneath and have them push 4wd buttons and see if You can hear transfer case encoder motor working or not. You can also jack up truck on jackstands and see if front diff locks by turning front drive shaft while its trying to shift transfer case. But doesn't prove the switch in either one is working. Unless You just wanna start swapping parts this really does require wiring diagrams and scanner (not a code reader)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Could be the brake on the Transfer case actuator motor, if it is not engaging then the motor would have to stay energized all the time to hold in 4wd. Not sure that failure would come up on a scanner if the DIC is not showing the Service 4x4 message but i could be wrong. Would not be the first time i was wrong. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.