Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2500HD Hauling A** ... But at a Price?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BusterB 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and need some help please...
I am upgrading from an Avalanche to a Silverado 2500HD for more hauling power.
How much extra noise should you hear from the drive-train?
I test drove a 2002 2500HD, with 110k miles, at the weekend and there was a werr/rush/humm (a noise) from the drive-train the whole time...
Is this to be expected?
Or is something worn out!
The Avalanche never made that noise...
Today I drove a regular 2500 today for comparison... and the noise was still there but not as bad...
What's the difference in drive-train between the 2500 and the 2500HD?
Thanks for your help and guidance...

#2 ·
I traded a 2003 Avalanche for my 2007 Silverado 1500 and its quieter. I was really surprised. It does have a little louder exaust note, but not noticeable with the windows up.

#4 ·
My 03 2500HD has always had a drivetrain whine, that gets louder when you stomp on it. It doesn't concern me one bit... lots of vehicles make some sort of sound like that.

#6 ·
Too bad I don't have the Allison :lol:. The 6.0 came with the 4L80E; 8.1 and 6.6 use the Allison.

#8 ·
The Allison was not an option on the 6.0

#9 ·
The Allison was never an option with the 6.0. I'm no transmission expert, but from what other guys on this site have said, the 4L80E is one of, if not the strongest transmission GM has ever made.

#11 ·
I believe you're referring to the G80 locking rear differential? If you open the glove box, there will be a sticker listing all the option codes. If you see "G80" listed, than it's the locking rear diff (most GM trucks have this). There have been reports of them exploding if you put oversize tires on; when they slam into the locked position, it puts a ton of force on the internals. Other than that, it's the best differential on the market today (at least from the factory).

I plow with my truck, and haven't had a lick of trouble with either the transmission or the differential.

#12 ·
G80s are the best. Most of the grenade stories come from the rock crawler crowd. So unless your doing something that extreme, your diffy should be fine. Just keep the fluid up to date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.