jQuery not supported.

4L60E delayed then firm 1-2 shift

4L60E delayed then firm 1-2 shift

Postby jps4wd [OP] » Mar 02 2013, 4:17am

ok, so about 3 weeks ago me and a buddy went riding on some mud/gravel roads and i gave my truck a little hell up a few of the hills. basically just floored it up through 3 gear a couple of times and then road around for about another hour doing normal driving on our way back home. well the next day i got in my truck and after the trans has started warming up it will rev up in first gear and then just kind of hold the rpm associated with the throttle input for a bit and then shift pretty firmly into second. it's never what i would call a harsh shift, but it is definitely not smooth. it also never just shifts hard, there is always a delay before the shift. i have since had the fluid flushed with no change. all other shifts are fine and my overdrive is not giving me any issues. it will even delay for a second or two when manually shifting between 1 and 2. when i get on it tho it seems to shift pretty normal. never really got on it before that night as i am normally a pretty laid back driver and try to keep my rpms at 2k or below during normal driving so i cant really compare what it does not to what it might have done before. i have had a friend of mine who used to be a GM tech drive it and he didnt have a definitive answer to what it could be. we are planning on dropping the pan and taking a look at a few things he thinks could need attention, but i was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with a delayed then firm 1-2 shift and what they ended up fixing or finding out was the problem. thanks for any input
Original Poster
jps4wd
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Crew Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 4L60E delayed then firm 1-2 shift

Postby FTR85 » Mar 03 2013, 5:43pm

Automatic transmissions don't handle offroading the same way a manual does. Your issue could be simply a lip seal that went haywire from harsh conditions and it will work itself back in time. Or it may be time to save for a rebuild, depending on the mileage of your vehicle. I wouldn't recommend offroading in that new of a vehicle unless you don't mind paying for frequent rebuilds.
FTR85
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jps4wd [OP] » Mar 03 2013, 7:10pm

well i would like to think with only 80k miles i wouldnt need to be saving for a rebuild. that seems a little over the top considering there are not any other problems with the transmission. on the subject of paying for rebuilds just from offroading, i have had many 4x4s, from jeeps, to older GM trucks to a couple of Fords, and all of those were subjected to a lot more abuse than this truck has seen since i owned them in my younger days, and not a one of them ever needed anything more than routine maintenance to keep them going. that being said, if i am going to have to baby this thing to keep it on the road, then i will get rid of it and go back to Ford. anywho, anyone got any other ideas about what i could possibly be looking at fixing?
Original Poster
jps4wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Mar 03 2013, 7:52pm

jps4wd wrote:well i would like to think with only 80k miles i wouldnt need to be saving for a rebuild. that seems a little over the top considering there are not any other problems with the transmission. on the subject of paying for rebuilds just from offroading, i have had many 4x4s, from jeeps, to older GM trucks to a couple of Fords, and all of those were subjected to a lot more abuse than this truck has seen since i owned them in my younger days, and not a one of them ever needed anything more than routine maintenance to keep them going. that being said, if i am going to have to baby this thing to keep it on the road, then i will get rid of it and go back to Ford. anywho, anyone got any other ideas about what i could possibly be looking at fixing?

Do some research on 4l60e's and youll find them to be one of the weakest gm transmissions ever. They go out and it doesn't matter if you have 35k or 120k. Sorry .

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 47
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Mar 03 2013, 8:24pm

Dont get me wrong I have 235k on my truck and I think my 4l60e may be original... but I dont know for sure, I bought my truck at 150k

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby jps4wd [OP] » Mar 03 2013, 8:34pm

trust me i have scoured these forums and others. and i dont mind fixing stuff, i just dont think i should be looking at rebuilding the trans at 80k from one night of fun. and i meant no disrespect to any ones opinion, just would like to know some other stuff to check before considering an expensive rebuild. i had an 88 with 180k on it and original trans that i ragged and never had a problem. i know it was a different trans but if im not mistaken the 4l60e is just the updated big bother of that older trans. anyone had a similar problem and end up having to replace the 1-2 accumulator piston?
Original Poster
jps4wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Mar 03 2013, 8:46pm

I would be upset too. Ive been saving for a jasper replacement for some time now. The 700r4 as well as the 4l60e have weakly design sunshells... they have some other problems but the sunshell is a serious issue.

Are you the original owner?

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby FTR85 » Mar 03 2013, 8:52pm

The accumulator pistons are aluminum parts that wouldn't break at 80k miles. The seal could be torn or the pin worn. The 2-4 band and the servo also come into play for the 1-2 shift. The 2-4 wouldn't wear out in 80k miles. The servo and 1-2 piston seal would be the places to start at your mileage.
FTR85
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jps4wd [OP] » Mar 03 2013, 11:48pm

gmcultr wrote:I would be upset too. Ive been saving for a jasper replacement for some time now. The 700r4 as well as the 4l60e have weakly design sunshells... they have some other problems but the sunshell is a serious issue.

Are you the original owner?

yeah, i have read of many different weak areas, but i had no issues before that night and no codes so i can only think that i might have messed something up specific to that shift. the ex-GM tech that rode with me thought it was sensor related and told me to undo the battery for a while and see if that would fix it but unfortunately it didnt change. and i am the second owner, bought it with 58k and put 20k miles on it with only needing to replace the hubs.

FTR85 wrote:The accumulator pistons are aluminum parts that wouldn't break at 80k miles. The seal could be torn or the pin worn. The 2-4 band and the servo also come into play for the 1-2 shift. The 2-4 wouldn't wear out in 80k miles. The servo and 1-2 piston seal would be the places to start at your mileage.

i have read that the piston can jam at an angle inside the bore, and that is what i am leaning toward. or better yet, what i am hoping for. the ex-tech guy also said that he didnt think it was that band since it is doing the delay during manual shift mode. and im no expert but what i gathered from him, was normally using the manual shift mode will give a different result if is something to do with the band and/or clutches. he was thinking servo, but said basically we wont know without taking a look. was really hoping someone had the same symptoms that would narrow it down for me. but thanks for the input and i hope my original reply to you didnt seem to douchebaggery, i really just dont want to think i need a rebuild already.
Original Poster
jps4wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FTR85 » Mar 04 2013, 1:26am

Not at all, I know how transmission problems can make you feel. Let us know what you find if you would!
FTR85
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain