jQuery not supported.

4wd not engaging

4wd not engaging

Postby split2303 [OP] » Feb 27 2010, 7:03pm

I have a 1995 gmc sierra and the 4wd is not working. I changed the front diff actuator but it did not solve the problem. The actuator is good (tried it in a buddy's truck) the front drive shaft does spin when the transfer case is engaged (I can also hear the tranfercase gear down). I did get the tranmission rebuilt a couple of months ago and after this is when I noticed it was not working. 4x4 lights do not illuminate when I engage into 4hi or low (I have a floor shifter). I tested the wire that connects to the actuator with a voltmeter and it showed no charge. I then traced the wire to the top of the transfercase and tested both the end of the wire and also where it plugs into the transfer case...no charge shown.
Original Poster
split2303
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1995
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Starter not engaging   Starter not engaging flexplate   ABS Engaging Below 20MPH   Rearend locker not engaging   00' NBS Silverado won't come out of Auto 4WD or 4WD Hi   serv 4wd light on wont go into 4wd need help bad!   Tranny not engaging into drive correctly   4low not engaging with standard procedure   Sierra transfer case not engaging   Abs engaging when braking at low speeds   4x4 not engaging, weird stuff happening!   no Service 4wd message & no 4wd   4WD   4wd lock, HELP!! 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 4wd not engaging

Postby HOTROD HELL » Feb 28 2010, 6:42am

well definately sounds electrical. definately test the fuse should be in the fuse box inside the cab. but i know in the 80's to atleast early 90's there is a sensor on the top of the transfer case that tells it when to engage that could be out also...
HOTROD HELL
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2500hd 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 71 cuda man » Apr 19 2010, 1:20am

If the unit didnt engage after trans work was done try looking for a ground wire not connected or loose.If they are good the only other things you can do is get a Mitchells manual & follow the wiring diagram from fuse block back to case.Also check wiring for resistance . The shop might of nicked wire thats grounding out.
71 cuda man
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 1994
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: z71 5.7L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby xMOWERYx » Jun 16 2012, 10:43pm

I had this same exact problem with my 97 4x4 Sonoma. If you have the push button 4x4, take the front plastic clip off your dash and pull the switch out and check to see if its plugged all the way in. If it is, then it sounds like the switch is shorted out and needs replaced.
xMOWERYx
2009 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab SLE Z71
5.3L With HP Custom Tune
Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
K&N CAI
Rough Country Leveling Kit
Westin Brush Guard
xMOWERYx
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 Ext. Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25ASTE25 is online! » Jun 16 2012, 11:06pm

It sounds like they may have blown a fuse when installing the transmission. I would take it back to whoever did the work on the transmission. As stated above, they may have pinched a wire and caused it to short. It may still be pinched too. The transmission place should fix it for free if it is something they did wrong.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25ASTE25 is online!
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Shadowfax » Jun 19 2012, 4:14pm

If there is a relay on your truck for 4 wheel drive, it may not receiving voltage to the coil to change states of its contacts. Or the relay could just be faulty.
Shadowfax
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain