jQuery not supported.

4x4 actuator removal

4x4 actuator removal

Postby chevellemark [OP] » Mar 21 2011, 2:04am

I decided to try and remove my front axel actuator today and it doesn't seem to want to unscrew and i'm afraid of breaking it off as it's made of plastic. Does the houseing have to be heated up for removal? It's a 99 Z71. I'm trying to get my axels to unlock by removing it. When i push the 2WD button it goes to 4WD after making the clicking noieses and is still locked.
Original Poster
chevellemark
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  4x4 actuator   2002 HD 2500 V8 4x4 Mode Actuator not working   Wanted: 4x4 Switch, Actuator, 5.3L Programmerv(fog swithc)   4x4 shift lever handle removal   actuator   door lock actuator   Blend Door Actuator   HVAC Actuator problem.   possible bad actuator? need input   Blend door actuator change out help   Actuator problems with np246 swap   actuator question with temp controll   help replacing mode door actuator please   passenger temperature door actuator 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 4x4 actuator removal

Postby lzn197 » Mar 21 2011, 3:12pm

Well if that is the case, you need to address the switch operation and the transfer case. Yes the front actuator engages the front axle but it can't be the only problem because if your transfer case was still in 2 wheel drive, it would never "drive" your front wheels unless your transfer case was engaged (power through your front driveshaft). Understand? So you can go through the trouble of removing the front actuator and do whatever but your real problem is somewhere upstream.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby morganw » Mar 21 2011, 7:28pm

http://repairautoshop.org/1aauto-com-re ... 9-06.html/

I wouldnt heat it, there is a lot of plastic components in there. it may not come out if its engaged. I'm not sure if its exactly the same with the push button, but there should be a plug on the transfer case that runs up to the actuator. If you unhook that, the defaul position is "out" on the actuator, give it whirl.
"Gun control is like trying to prevent drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars" -unknown
99 silverado
10 camaro ss/rs
03 600rr
morganw
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 5spd 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chevellemark [OP] » Mar 21 2011, 8:41pm

lzn197 wrote:Well if that is the case, you need to address the switch operation and the transfer case. Yes the front actuator engages the front axle but it can't be the only problem because if your transfer case was still in 2 wheel drive, it would never "drive" your front wheels unless your transfer case was engaged (power through your front driveshaft). Understand? So you can go through the trouble of removing the front actuator and do whatever but your real problem is somewhere upstream.

My transfer case is in 2WD because it is in auto4WD right now.And the axels are locked when in auto but the transfer case isn't unless the wheels spin right?
Original Poster
chevellemark
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chevellemark [OP] » Mar 21 2011, 9:05pm

morganw wrote:http://repairautoshop.org/1aauto-com-replace-4x4-axle-actuator-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-1999-06.html/

I wouldnt heat it, there is a lot of plastic components in there. it may not come out if its engaged. I'm not sure if its exactly the same with the push button, but there should be a plug on the transfer case that runs up to the actuator. If you unhook that, the defaul position is "out" on the actuator, give it whirl.

I could just unplug the wires at the actuator right? To disable the transfer case i could take the atc fuse out of the fuse box under the hood right? Right now the transfer case isn't turning the driveshaft, the locked axels are because it's in auto 4x4. I don't need the 4x4 and just want the axels unlocked. It's eating to much gas right now and i don't like the front wheels grabbing when i try to turn it in a parking lot. This thing is only going in 4WD or auto4x4 when i push the buttons. It wont go to 2WD or 4Wlow when pushing the buttons.
Original Poster
chevellemark
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby morganw » Mar 21 2011, 10:11pm

chevellemark wrote:My transfer case is in 2WD because it is in auto4WD right now.And the axels are locked when in auto but the transfer case isn't unless the wheels spin right?

This is correct.

And no you cant just unplug the actuator. It needs power to unlock. You could probably hot wire it and run a lead down from the battery. Looking through my haynes manual, there is a transfer case control module located to the left of the instrument cluster behind the headlight switch. you can try unplugging that and see if the actuator lets go. the manual doesnt say anything during the removal process about being engaged or not, just says to unscrew it.
"Gun control is like trying to prevent drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars" -unknown
99 silverado
10 camaro ss/rs
03 600rr
morganw
Topics: 5
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 5spd 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chevellemark [OP] » Mar 22 2011, 3:02pm

morganw wrote:
chevellemark wrote:My transfer case is in 2WD because it is in auto4WD right now.And the axels are locked when in auto but the transfer case isn't unless the wheels spin right?

This is correct.

And no you cant just unplug the actuator. It needs power to unlock. You could probably hot wire it and run a lead down from the battery. Looking through my haynes manual, there is a transfer case control module located to the left of the instrument cluster behind the headlight switch. you can try unplugging that and see if the actuator lets go. the manual doesnt say anything during the removal process about being engaged or not, just says to unscrew it.

So if the actuator needs power to unlock, it would need power to lock as well right? There are 2 wires going to the actuator i thing a red and a blue one. So they both must be hot wires , one to lock and one to unlock right? So if i switch them around, the wire for the lock will power the unlock and unlock my axels right? What do you think ?
Original Poster
chevellemark
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 496Pain » Mar 29 2011, 2:12am

:evil: Man I was having the same prob, I have a 2001 gmc 3500 8.1 4x4, I replaced the the dash buttons/switch for the 4x4,and all of a sudden there are NO lights on the buttons except a flash when I start the truck so I replaced the front actuator and saw there was a broken pin in the old actualtor but still with no change. the only thing left is the TCM.
has anyone ever had the light in the dash 4x4 switch just blank out period..????? as whats going on with my truck..??? if anyone could throw me a frgin bone here I so love it, thinking of a sledge hammer soon LMAO :shock:
496Pain
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 3500 8.1 V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain