Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4 Problem

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  hottoast 
#1 ·
I have a 1989 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4. All of the sudden when I shift it into 4x4 the light does not come on and it does not engage. I think that it might be the actuator but not sure. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks

#9 ·
Austin said:
Lets keep in mind that Julin is posting from Mumbai India and does not own a truck so I'm not sure what his intentions are here.
Tech support?

Yeah, i went there :geek:

#11 ·
Sounds like you are getting close to the problem, would follow pigtail up and test continuity from end of pig tail to other end of wire. The wire could be broken, stretched, corroded or switch problem. Keep us informed on your progress and pics if you can. That way maybe the moderators could post it as a possible " Fix " solution for others that have an similar problem.

#12 ·
Something that I forgot is if the front drive shaft is locking in. If it is in 4x4 then I should not be able to turn it by hand and it is a transfer case problem. Is this correct? If so I will get under it today and check to see if I can spin it by hand or not.

#15 ·
Would think there is a switch mounted to transfer case somewhere so when you throw it in 4 wheel drive it will send 12volts to actuator on front axel. Been awhile since I had one, but thinking that is how 4x4 is engaged which you shift transfer case.

#18 ·
don't know if this is allowed but i had another brand truck which had a light that told you when it was in 4 wheel. one day while out wheelin i hit a pretty good mud hole, and the light went off. it was still in 4 wheel, and everything but the light worked. Upon further inspection there was a vacuum line off. Put it back on and light worked again. I am not sure how our trucks are set up, but could there be something similer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.